Moving to Oklahoma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrspughster

Aquarium Advice Regular
In a couple of months we are moving to Oklahoma from Texas. Its about a 2 hour drive. Would my loaches be ok in a tote with a battery powered air pump?? How stressed out will they get? I am trying to get rid of my guppies so not too worried about them. But I love my loaches and dont want to hurt them. Any suggestions??

If it's only 2 hours, you should be fine. In fact, I wouldn't even worry about the air-pump. The agitation of the water in your container over the drive will be more than enough to aerate the water.

I did a similar move with a black ghost knife and a large plecostomus from Dallas to two hours south. I transported them in those styrofoam beer coolers you can buy at the grocery store, which I recommend (though be sure to check for water-tightness before beginning the move). They're soft-ish, so they won't hurt the fish, come with covers, and will keep the water a consistent temperature. They're also cheap.

Your fish will be stressed--that can't really be helped--but so long as you have their new tank set up and waiting for them to minimize the time of the move, they should come out of it just fine. Just make sure you do all the usual acclimation procedures when you put them in their new home.

Two hours isn't much of a trip. I'd go with a large cooler and cover it so light doesn't get into it. I've made long road trips with fish (5+ hours) and they did fine. Fish take worse trips to the stores you buy them from anyway.

Back
Top Bottom