MTS Already--Stock my 10-Gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

figliaperduta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, the 30-gallon high is being a real ***** about cycling--a week and a half with three swordtails, and I haven't even had an ammonia spike, still no nitrites or nitrates. So yesterday, I was at the LFS for some more Prime (I had gotten a big bottle, and it's just too hard to manage for the size of water changes I'll be doing) and I acquired a pair of guppies (which are GORGEOUS and SHIMMERY!) to add temporarily, and maybe kick-start the cycle. Stress-Zyme has done nothing. So, maybe two more inches of fish will do something.

So, after that one cycles, I'm going to be setting up a 10-gallon with the two guppies as the centerpiece. The biomedia for the little tank is in the chamber of the filter for the big tank now, so that should establish at the same time--hopefully, instant cycling. I'm probably also going to have a pair of cories, as they are just too cute. Do you think that's enough fish for a 10-gallon, or am I safe adding a small school of neons or black neons as well? If that's alright, how many would you suggest?

Equip. for new tank:
Hagen AquaClear 20--100gph
AGA Heater-- 50 watss (the 30g has a Tetra Whisper, 150 watts, and the thing is driving me to bloody murder--it won't set right, and I keep having to fiddle with it!)
Python Gravel-Vac--the two tanks can share this, and the 4-gallon bucket, as I can only lift 2 gallons at a time anyways
Prime, test kits, nets, etc.

I have no gravel or anything for the new tank yet, and I don't actually even have the tank and hood! (It's on order from the LFS, as they're on sale and ran out.)

This hobby is addicting. I can watch my fish for HOURS.

i agree... its really addictive... i started out with a 20g guppy tank. now i have a 75g african cichlid tank... 2 20g guppy tanks and 2 10g grow out and breeder tanks for my guppies. i recently just picked up 2 pairs of ifga show quality guppies so now im breeding them exclusively

I don't think a school of neons would be a good idea with the guppies. It'd be a little crowded. What about 2-3 platies/mollies?

Just my opinion. Welcome to the addiction. :)

Well, I have swordtails in the 30-gallon. I'm kind of looking for something a little different. Besides--don't mollies do better in brackish water? That's what I always heard.

No, they do not. Mollies can tolerate full freshwater to full saltwater conditions, but are mostly raised in freshwater. If you don't like the livebearer idea, what abour harlequin rasboras? 2-3 of those would look good.

Ideally, neon tetras would probably be okay in your tank, but would be healthier and prettier in a larger school. 4-5 would fit in your 10 gallon, I was just throwing out other ideas.

What about a Dwarf or Pygmy Gourami?

In other news--nitrites are up in the 30-XH! Perhaps they were already on their way, but I'd like to think that I'm a genius and it's because of adding the guppies.

Who knows? I may even be right (but probably not--please allow me my self-indulgence).

Wow, you need to get that nitrite down by doing several large water changes.
A dwarf gourami would be fine. I have no experience with the pygmies, so I can't offer any advice on them.

Back
Top Bottom