MTS colony living/breeding in Fluval 406

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivercats

Aquarium Advice Addict
I added a Fluval 406 onto my 220g planted tank about 3 months ago. I wanted it strictly for mechnical and biological filtration. My tank isn't overly dirty so I wanted to see if I could let this filter go for 3 months at a time before servicing. Well much to my surprize when I opened it I found a huge breeding colony of Malaysian Trumpet Snails had taken up residence in the sponges. There are 4 strip shaped sponges that water 1st passes through in these filters and in this area and in the sponges the MTS were just thick. Then I noticed, as I removed the sponges 2 were just crawling with the snails AND those 2 sponges were pretty darn clean. The 3rd sponge had no snails on it and was dirty! We just left the 4 sponge in its slot as it looked clean. We scooped out a full 3oz dixie cup of snails that were loose from the sponges so they wouldn't get squished when reinserting the 3 sponges. I didn't even have to take out the bottom canister pre-filter sponge to clean it. It appears the snails set up housekeeping in the sponges and are living in the sponges eating the detris. Since the 4th sponge was dirty with no snails I am wondering if they are leaving a sponge at a time to get really dirty and then moving into it to eat (thus cleaning my sponges for me). I've been in this hobby since the 70's and have never seen this before. I'm not complaining (and did carefully place the dixie cup of snails back in the filter before closing it up) since it seems I have a self cleaning filter. They are not in my Fluval FX5. Any thoughts about this phenomenon??? I'm tempted to add a bunch to my FX5 to see if the same thing would happen.

There were so many snail I had them crawling all over the counter by the sink! Good thing my daughter was here to help. It was a HUGE surprize!!! But how cool is that, a live in cleaning crew for my filter. What do you think about adding some to the FX5 and seeing if they colonize there too? I am seriously considering it.

Back
Top Bottom