MTS fix number one is here.Speak up before I screw up...lol.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Out of the two people promising me tanks one has come though....but with a bit of a curveball.
Its a hex and quite tall (each pane is a little better then twelve inces wide and the tank is just over 30 inches tall)...but I don't know the volume...I'm guessing around 50g?

Also...the wife,who loves the job I've done on our 29g planted (low light),can't wait to see how this looks with live plants,fish ect....I like a challange,but is this asking to much considering the depth?I'm a plant noob fwiw.

Also..the tank shape has me wondering about the population.Its quite a bit taller than it is wide...the gallons are there,but the horizontal travel space isn't.I'm open to all suggestions on this last question.I've done a heap of reading,but not about this tank size/shape.

Heres a pic...(I hope)

tank0946ey.jpg

Also...I've never brought up a used tank,so any tips about filling/testing/inspection are very much appreciated as well....right now its dry.But not for long lol.

alot of people i talk to say to reseal a used tank. idk the volume, it is basic geometry to figure it out but yeah...i dont remember the equation for a hexagonal prism.

I also meant to add that I'm cool with the water quality part of it all..unless of coarse I screw it up somehow.

And,as can be imagined, the tank needs to be cleaned,but its not that bad...Its been down long enough not to have the illness transfer issues.I'm thinking a partial fill and scrub down?Any objections?

I would take it outside and fill it up for a leak test. A good washing with vinegar and water would clean it up nicely. If you plan on planting it light is going to be your biggest problem. It is deep and not wide enough for standard fixtures to give you a lot of light. Maybe a metal halide pendant over it? You can't add as many fish as in a regular fifty, but it would be nice for same angels.

The formula with which to find an equilateral hexagon's area is 2.5981 times the length of one side squared.

12*12=144 144*2.5981= 374 inches square * 30 = 11223 cubic inches

11223/231 = 48.58 gallons. Pro bably a 50 gallon tank.

Thanks guys....keep the posts coming..the more the beter.Thanks again.

I forgot filtration..I have a heater that will do it np...but this tank came my way filter free (as in none).....opinions/option?

Jchillin said:
Your definitely going to need a large canister and a powerhead for getting some good current/flow going in there. I vote for an XP3.

I agree. A rena XP3 with an inline 300 watt heater. That should do the job, AND have no heater showing inside the tank. Both of these can be bought at bigals or likewise. As far as the plants go.... I would use some pool filter sand (as always :D), and put tall growing plants. Some hornwort, and some crypts for the height. Then I would put a couple of anubias on the floor, and some java ferns/moss on the decorations. With those plants, lighting shouldn't be a huge issue, just make sure to put some seachem flourish (or alternative) in the tank, and it should look awesome, without having to do a TON to the lighting.

We expect more pictures once it is running :)

I also have a hex tank (I think it's 30 gallons), although it's not currently running, and I found that lighting such a deep tank was a huge problem for me. I couldn't get any plants to survive in there with the stock light, which is hardly a surprise given how small the strip is in relation to the depth of the tank. I think mine is the same size as a stock light for a 10 gallon- no way I could grow any plants with that. You could buy a CF strip, which is what I am considering for my tank, but of course you can't use the stock hood with the CF strip. I've never seen a glass hood for this style of tank available either in stores or online... the only odd-shaped one I can find is for the 44 pentagon, which doesn't help either of us. Someone suggested that I should have a glass top custom made for it, but I haven't checked into that yet. You may want to think about that. I also thought about contacting Perfecto to see if they have glass hoods for that tank, since I know mine is a Perfecto tank.

Good luck, and keep me posted on what you decide to do. I'm really interested for the sake of my own hex. :D

edit: I forgot to add... I would also recommend the Rena Filstar over other canisters, because it comes with a spray bar that you can choose to put on the end of the outflow tube. I would recommend positioning the spray bar vertically inside the tank. You'll be able to move a lot of water this way at all levels of the tank, and will hopefully avoid dead spots. You may not even need a powerhead- the XP3 is pretty powerful. 8)

Thanks guys...you thoughts are always appreciated.

The thing is I don't really know what to stock.I've been thinking about it all day and I'm stuck.I already have the 29g fw and its doing great.Its a very passive tank with gups,corys,gouramis ect.

Should I just move up to agressive trops?(something I have considered) or are ciclids a good choice?I'd like to give them a try too...

If it were your tank,what would you do?

SCFatz said:
Thanks guys...you thoughts are always appreciated.

The thing is I don't really know what to stock.I've been thinking about it all day and I'm stuck.I already have the 29g fw and its doing great.Its a very passive tank with gups,corys,gouramis ect.

Should I just move up to agressive trops?(something I have considered) or are ciclids a good choice?I'd like to give them a try too...

If it were your tank,what would you do?
Angels are wonderful in Hex tanks

Update:

Tested it and all is good
Pool filter sand washed in...
water is in and primed the xp3 (What a monster of a filter!)

I'll try to get a pic up later.

More population suggestions are welcome.

Also..is there any reason why it would not make a good cichlid tank?Size wise I mean....

SCFatz said:
Also..is there any reason why it would not make a good cichlid tank?Size wise I mean....
Not enough room for territories, since the horizontal space is so limited. :?

newtank1qy.jpg

newtanktwo15xs.jpg

As you can see its coming along well.

One concern is the filter intakes reach into the tank.It not nearly as close to the bottom as recommended,but I used all of the available pieces.

Is it easy to order more extention pieces?Better yet,is it even needed.?It is after all only a 50g tank with an oversized filter.

Dead spot issues or no worries is what I'm wondering.

Well..I found the extention pieces online for about 8 bucks...still not sure if I need em though.

Also..I decided to go with semi agressive tropicals.
The population as of now:
1 golden algea eater
3 tiger barbs
3 long fin rosy barbs
3 albino cherry barbs

Any thoughts on the filter intake level,or the population?

Back
Top Bottom