Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After my last pwc the population on mts snails seems to have gotten out of control. I do not want to use chemicals I want to just get them under control not totally get rid of them. I am trying a snail trap again last night surprisingly none went in. Besides the typical manual removal anyone have any other secrets?

I know the lettuce trick only issue is my pleco and other fish seem to eat it all overnight

Old 07-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddodad View Post
After my last pwc the population on mts snails seems to have gotten out of control. I do not want to use chemicals I want to just get them under control not totally get rid of them. I am trying a snail trap again last night surprisingly none went in. Besides the typical manual removal anyone have any other secrets?

I know the lettuce trick only issue is my pleco and other fish seem to eat it all overnight
I would buy some assasin snails. They can definetly help control the population.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wasn't sure if the assassins would eat them.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I wasn't sure if the assassins would eat them.
They will! In fact with a high population of mts the assasins will probably breed!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got 6 assassin snails for my 29g after a massive outbreak of pond snails. They worked on them but didn't get ahead of them. Upon advice from an experienced friend I got a dwarf chain loach and he's got them just about eliminated in less than a month. OS.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post

They will! In fact with a high population of mts the assasins will probably breed!
I could deal with them breeding but from what I know they are not as prolific as mts or pond snails right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scales View Post
I got 6 assassin snails for my 29g after a massive outbreak of pond snails. They worked on them but didn't get ahead of them. Upon advice from an experienced friend I got a dwarf chain loach and he's got them just about eliminated in less than a month. OS.
I tried loaches to control the mts in another tank and they loved the pond snails but not the mts. I forget what exact breed (been a long time). I might try the dwarf chain loaches if I can't find the assassin snails
Old 07-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

When I want to trap MTS I found getting a little glass jar, laying it on it's side on the substrate, then putting 1 algae tablet in the very back of the jar will bring them running. You can let them swarm in the jar on the tablet and very carefully turn the jar right side up before lifting out of the water. Remove the snails the put the jar and tablet back in. I just put an algae tablet in for my new Aspidoras albater and the MTS's in the tank started coming up in the light within about 5 minutes. I love the little Chain loaches (Botia sidthimunki) as they do a great job with snails.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I could deal with them breeding but from what I know they are not as prolific as mts or pond snails right?

I tried loaches to control the mts in another tank and they loved the pond snails but not the mts. I forget what exact breed (been a long time). I might try the dwarf chain loaches if I can't find the assassin snails
They are not quiet that prolific. They can breed pretty fast given the right cicumstances though.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's exactly what I do usually to trap them, but for some reason didn't work at all this time. I have it set again for tonight. I actually found one of my Otos on the algae tab this morning with no snails in the jar just around it
Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

They are not quiet that prolific. They can breed pretty fast given the right cicumstances though.
Hmmmm I'm not sure I love the sound of that. The last thing I want is a overpopulation of those.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The snails were probably in it during the night if you left if overnight. You have to literally man the jar or they eat and run at first light.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
The snails were probably in it during the night if you left if overnight. You have to literally man the jar or they eat and run at first light.
I know I've done it successfully for a long time I usually get them before the lights come on. I'm going to try the put it in and watch tonight
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Hmmmm I'm not sure I love the sound of that. The last thing I want is a overpopulation of those.
Yea but u can sell those
Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

If you have sand or fine gravel, you can use a kitty litter scoop to sift them out of the substrate. Here, when they are available for sale, they sell for 50 cents.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Yea but u can sell those
There really isn't much of a market here in Canada and shipping across borders a pain. But it would be a good excuse to get a puffer tank
Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspixie View Post

If you have sand or fine gravel, you can use a kitty litter scoop to sift them out of the substrate. Here, when they are available for sale, they sell for 50 cents.
50 cents to bad at all here you can go into any lfs and they just give them away

I really like that kitty litter scooper idea I'm going to pick one up tomorrow and try that
Old 07-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Puffer tank good idea! We dont sell them here either. I live on the border of 2 states and in 1 they are illegal to own or sell. Not sure about the other.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Puffer tank good idea! We dont sell them here either. I live on the border of 2 states and in 1 they are illegal to own or sell. Not sure about the other.
They are such pests here in the aquarium trade/hobby it's funny when I set up this sand substrate I went into my lfs asked for 5 they gave me 25 and wouldn't charge. They just made sure I knew what I was getting
Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
They are such pests here in the aquarium trade/hobby it's funny when I set up this sand substrate I went into my lfs asked for 5 they gave me 25 and wouldn't charge. They just made sure I knew what I was getting
lol our petsmart gives away as many as you want lol (illegally I might add) They move goldies from tank to tank so they will eat mts lol I have personally never seen them go nuts in any of my tank. Pond snails yes. Mts no.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com