MTS showed up in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samantha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As identified by you guys on the forum, I appear to have mts that hitched a ride on some plants.Got rid of all but one which showed itself the other day.Does anyone know if these snails can reproduce on their own or do you need two?At moment have got him/her in a jar out of the tank.I do'nt want to put it back if i'm going to have to keep culling offspring, the tank not able to support loads of snails.

Yes mts are asexual, so they reproduce by themselves.

Actually mts are very useful in a planted tank in aerating the substrate (like worms in the soil outside). They will eat anything that falls in the substrate and they will reproduce, but if your tank is healthy and running fine you will almost never see them (except for a couple big ones from time to time) because they will stay in the substrate, except they will come out at night when you turn the lights off.

And if your tank can't handle those snails (which reduce waste; therefore, reducing the amount of matter decomposing in the substrate) then how would it be able to handle the fish?

I understand what your saying about lots of snails, but you may have a misconception about their use in a tank from what others have said.

i only wish i could keep mts--they truly are great for aerating the substrate and keeping pockets of noxious gasses from forming. and the DON'T eat plants! yes, they will breed like crazy, but they usually stay burried in the substrate and come out at night. imo they are very beneficial for a planted tank! alas, my loaches have developed quite a taste for them ;) so...no mts for me :(

ps--if your tank is not planted, they're still great for aerating the substrate because that gas buildup can be toxic for fish--and they're just generally a great addition to a clean up crew.

Ah yes I forgot to mention that some loachs (botia spp., etc.) will eat mts and other small snails.

I truly don't believe that mts could be bad to have in any way if tank params, overfeeding, and everything else is kept in check.

No doubt the posititves outway the possible (and unlikely) negatives.

MTS are a great indicator of how your tank is doing. An explosion in population means your tank bottom and or water quality is dropping. They do not overrun healthy tanks. Most loaches will eat a few but not many due to the shape of their shells. They do not eat plants.

Also if you see one you most likely already have eggs in the substrate and you will pretty much always have them anyway. I have them in both of my tanks and i love them!

Back
Top Bottom