Muahaha driftlog doesnt stand a chance(with pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why don't you just drill some slate to the bottom? And fill it with rocks? that would seem better than a huge dumbell sitting in your aquarium, it couuld take months to become completelty water logged.

Now that's funny!

I have to second what the "slate people" are saying. Your "before" picture shows the wood floating with about HALF above the water - VERY buoyant. I would guess that this piece of wood will never sink on its own.

ok, where the hell do i find slate then. i dont think there's any "rock" stores around my area. also, the bottom of the wood is HOLLOW, i cant drill anything to the bottom of it. the edges look a bit too week

You can find slate from a greenhouse perhaps, a quarry, or there is a huge piece of heavy slate inside all old thrown-out billiards "pool" tables. Maybe you can find a gaming/arcade business locally that has a broken old pool table sitting out rotting behind their building.

If you have to drill way up into the middle of the driftwood then you'll just need a really long screw or bolt.

The middle is hollow.. so it will have air in it right? Its not really the slate that holds down driftwood its more the gravel that is placed on top of the slate once the driftwood with slate is placed under the gravel.
I dont want to seen to be devils advocate here but I think there is some information missing..
I know your one of the many young members here.. do you even have access to a drill?
What about the masonry bit that would be nesssisary to drill through stone/slate?
In the US these to things will set you back $60 min. and there is a good chance this
wont even work (the driftwood seems very buoyant) I think these things need to be
taken into consideration before tracking down a $5-10 slab of slate just to find out
that your going to have to spend another $60-70 to attach it.. You might want to look
into ordering some driftwood from bigalsonine to see if the price of fixing this one is worth your while..

I have my doubts that this piece of driftwood will ever become waterlogged in our lifetimes. :D

You should be able to find a big enough piece of slate at a garden center. They charge by the pound, but it's WAY less expensive than the lfs. I dunno - a couple of bucks maybe.

A masonry bit can be had at any hardware store - a 3/16 inch bit shouldn't cost more than a few dollars. It will work with any electric drill. No need to get a wet drill, Greenmaji - that's only necessary for really hard, dense materials like granite and marble. :wink: A masonry bit meant to drill through brick and concrete will go through slate no problem. Just let the tool do the work and don't push too hard, or the slate may crack.

You may have a problem locating stainless steel screws long enough to do the job. If the local hardware doesn't have them, check at a marine or boating store.

what about aquarium silicone? is it strong enough to secure the driftwood to the slate? that might be an alternative to drilling...

Judging by the first pictures I would say the silicone definitely would NOT hold.

I definitely would NOT give up on this great piece of driftwood. It's going to be something you keep a long time after you get it installed right. Beautiful!

If the inside is indeed hollow, and the fit inside your tank won't allow you to tip the air out, drilling a couple holes for the air to bubble out of will relieve many pounds of bouyancy from this wood.

mvigor said:
drilling a couple holes for the air to bubble out of will relieve many pounds of bouyancy from this wood.

probably the smartest thing i've read in this thread !!

do exactly that....
drill a hole right through the wood (straight through to the other side) !! even better...drill several holes

not only will this let air/water through, you can create Caves !!!!

you could create caves and possibly fill these holes up with gravel to help weight it down even more

thats an awesome piece of driftwood and i hope you succeed in whatever you're going to do with it because that is a not worth getting rid of :D

My LFS sells slate by the pound... the only place ive seen to buy it online was at Ebay.

Also, you could even try using some fishing wire to TIE the driftwood to the slate, ive never tried it myself, but ive heard it works, and the fishing line doesn't show up under water too bad.

Don't get rid of the driftwood,im sure you will find a way to make it work, without having a dumbell in your tank. .LOL

Back
Top Bottom