Mudskipper setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canterthefishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanted to get a dwarf mudskipper and I wanted to know the setup. Like half land or something. Could I do sand to half way up a 20 gallon long and have it go half of the tank and going down into deeper and deeper water. And maybe I could put a small scale archer in there when there they are like 2-3 in. I think there should be a pic (but I am new to the pic thing so it may not work.) image-806098310.jpg

Thanks

here is mine i love mudskippers and i love to talk to people that have them.
i just got a figure 8 puffer for the tank and he is just as great as the skipper.

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 369
I dont remember the scientific name but i have it somewhere. Ill post it when i find it. I made the platform using plexiglass and painted pvc pipes. He never goes down to the bottom of the tank. He usually swims quickly across the top of the water to get from side to side. I have a puffer inthe tank now so that inhabits the water part of the tank.

Periophthalmus variabilis is the scientific name for my skipper.

i feed him mainly crickets and on occasion meal worms. im going to try feeding him fruit flys which im 99% confident he will go crazy for. when feeding meal worms i crush the heads and they will more, this way he sees them wiggling and ive heard meal worms can sometimes eat through their stomachs. i do not know a place where they sell my specific type but the best place is this link. they have 2 different types on there but one is sold out. i would contact them to see if they really are sold out.

Brackishwater Fish

I have a tetra whisper internal power filter 20i that does 125gph on a 20-22 gallon tank. Its not a bad filter but i want to upgrade when i get some money. As for the mudskipper eating frozen food, i have never been able to do it. A lot of people get their mudskippers to eat frozen blood worms but i have never been able to do it. I bought a cricket keep and its made things a lot easier.

I used the sand that petco sells. I think it was like $8 a bag and i only used 1 and a third bags. Its very fine buy i like it because i want my skipper to not get scrapped on rough sand.
Nemo i have never been able to get my skipper to eat anything thay wasnt a live so your lucky but i dont mind because crickets are cheap. I want to get fruit flys because they are easy to cultivate and they will give my skip something to hunt for which will keep him occupied instead of watching me when im in the room lol he creeps me out sometimes

IMO mudskippers are extremely easy to keep. If you figure out what they like to eat you are set. that is basically the only challenge and even that isnt a challenge for most people. they are very hardy and if you accidentally change the SG drastically they dont even realize it. they are used to drastic changes in SG and they all come from the wild where the SG always changes.

Make sure you have no openings on the top of the tank. i had a tiny one and i went away for the weekend and 1 mudskipper escaped and i found him dried up on the floor. I ended up gluing a screen from a screen door over the opening. another reason there needs to be no openings is because it needs to stay humid.

Ok thanks for all the help! I can't wait till I get a mudskipper!

Thanks again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom