Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

mulm, mulm, and more mulm

So it seems no matter how much I sand vacuum, 10 minutes later I turn around and voila tons more has settled.

It's frustrating the crap out of me cause I'm trying to keep my tank nice and clean without removing all the water each time. Yesterday, I even vacuumed, then put the tank water back in the tank running it through a coffee filter to catch all the crud and keep it from going back into my tank. I think I did this like 5 different times then I added some new water too for a small 10-20% PWC. Today too, I vacuumed away removing 2-3 gallons (my tank's a 14). I'm filling it back up with clean water. But I looked again right now, and there's more mulm-y stuff all over the place!

AAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry about it too much except that my betta's got some fin rot so I'm trying to clean out the tank really well.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You could try using a Turkey Baster (one reserved for aquarium use and never used for anything else) for spot cleanings.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

maybe, but there's always so much of it, and it stirs up so easily that the more I move my arm/hose/baster/anything else. Then 5 minutes after I stop it's all settled again.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is you filter clean? OR have enough flow?
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clean, yes. Flow....well....Sammie HATES any current. It's turning the water over, but I have fake plants rigged (i.e. stuffed) in the outtake to diffuse the outgoing water so it keeps my tank relatively still.

I just have the biological filter in, not the activated one, and it's not very densely woven (whatever material it's made of).

I could put some poly fiber such in the filter too and keep the tank stirred up let the filter do a bit more work?

Tags
mulm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com