Multiple deaths and wounded fish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jameshirst90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have a 4ft long, 200L freshwater medium planted tank with some bog wood too. External filter.

Tank started cycling in early August, and fish were introduced 4 weeks later.

I had a group of 6 golden barbs. They have recently started to die with wounds on them. As of 13th October there were 4 remaining, now (16th October) there is one remaining.

After running my fingers through plants and moving the wood, I found 2 bodies intact, 1 partial body ��, and a couple more structures which looked like Skeleton’s but were soft and melted when I tried to pick them up.

Before the recent death spree, In the tank was

6 golden barb
3 gold dust molly (Originally 4, lost one around 6th October)
1 Red Tail Black Shark
1 Bristlenose Plec
10 glass blood fin tetra
6 leopard/zebra danio (there were 12 originally but have lost 6 but lost a few early days, and a few seemingly more recently during this ‘spree’)

Initially I assumed the shark. But I’ve never seen it aggressive or chasing any fish, unless one goes into its bog wood cave. And a lot of people say their sharks give them no issues

But I’ve also read pregnant mollies May be to cause. As they get aggressive closer to giving birth. (I will get pictures of the potentially pregnant molly soon for a second opinion)

But I’ve also read the golden barbs can be nippy even though the majority of the info online suggest they are peaceful

I also read (although it seemed it was a one off unique fish) that a bristlenose was acting aggressive and even playing with the bodies of the dead fish

Because all the dying fish are wounded im assuming it’s not water parameters or disease. Unless I’m wrong and someone can help?

Please can anyone help. Has anyone had this issue? Or has a solution?

Thanks In advance ��

Last edited:
Your barb school may not be large enough for them to be peaceful. Yes mollies may also be aggressive/territorial.
Are you 100% sure it is a female? Mollies like to be with their own kind as well, even if they are all the same gender.

This is the molly below? Do we believe it is pregnant?

I came home from work today with one less molly and the final golden barb both passed away! : (

I’ve re checked water, ammonia 0, nitrate barely traceable, nitrite 0.

Attachments

• 74D45D8F-F4BF-432F-8596-039E0BDA1DC7.jpg
    74D45D8F-F4BF-432F-8596-039E0BDA1DC7.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 62EC68A8-DA59-4739-9FCC-1986DC32F2DA.jpg
    62EC68A8-DA59-4739-9FCC-1986DC32F2DA.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 000C29E8-E968-4AC6-B2D3-DCC850C494A1.jpg
    000C29E8-E968-4AC6-B2D3-DCC850C494A1.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 33
Red tailed sharks are more nocturnal right? He may be killing your other fish at night.
Yes your molly looks female and pregnant.

RTBS are normally nocturnal yeah but mine does come out in the day regularly too.

I was hoping it wouldn’t be the RTBS

Back
Top Bottom