Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Multiple Substrate Question

I am contemplating using sand AND gravel in my tank design. My thought is to use a 1.5"+/- wide piece of plexi-glass to seperate the two. (see image). I realize this will not stop them from becoming mixed but should slow the process somewhat.

I am wondering if anyone has done something like this? Not necessarily using a seperator. If so, what additional issues might I have doing this?

My appologies if this is not the proper location to post this. Just seemed more like a general question.

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would check in the DIY forum. The plexiglass would work, but how would it look? Maybe buying something like window screen and doubling or tripling it up so it's so fine that sand can't get through it. It's thinner but still bendable.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it will look great. I've used 20 mil mylar for similar effects. It's inexpensive, easy to form, and can be cut at various widths to give a terraced effect.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have used plexiglass before and then put small rocks on top so the substrate was not the same height. Works best if the gravel is a little higher than the sand because the sand tends to flow. ______[--------

My Tank pics - https://home.cogeco.ca/~plecosterone/My%20Tank.htm
Plecosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

From what I've read it also helps to put driftwood and/or small rocks along the border. This further helps to slow down the mixing and makes having the two differing substrates side by side look more natural.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know someone who went to great lengths to do this - black sand lagoon front/center, then elevated river pebble/live plants rear. Then he added a stingray who promptly made a tossed salad of everything (another example of why we research before we buy).
squawkbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the comments and ideas. I think I will go ahead and try this. I really do think it will look really good.

If anyone else has any suggestions or comments, post away. I will read them. I read just about every post on here. LOL. Never can tell when you might learn something useful.

Thanks again!

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
vfc
Aquarium Advice Regular

Brings back a very bad memory from over 30 years ago

A long time ago, they made plastic forms to use to keep the gravel separated. I spent hours making a pathway with white gravel, bordered by green gravel (grass), that crossed over a bridge with blue gravel (stream) going under the bridge. I even used silicon glue and glued larger natural pebbles together to line the pathway.

Afterwards, I carefully added water, and a week later added two 6 inch discus. It looked so good and I was so excited that I was having trouble sleeping. I made the mistake of getting out of the bed and walking up to the tank in the dark; I scarred the heck out of the discus. A few minutes later I crawled back in bed totally depressed.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Here's an article that sets up a tank similar to what you want to do:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...quascaping.htm

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com