Murky water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedOnTheHead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new tank, 20 gallon hex, and I've had fish in it for about a month.
3 cichlids, 2 plecos, and a shark. I plan to get a bigger tank once my lease is up and I move because I know they need more room.
When I first noticed the green murkyness I did a 50% water change, since the tank is still new I didn't want to offset the beneficial bacteria. I changed the water filter a week before also. And almost a week later I still have the same murky water. Is it just part of the cycle or is it the over crowded? My fish are still 1-2" at the moment so they aren't big yet.
Just wondering what some solutions could be and if I should be worried.

I'd assume your aquarium wasn't fully cycled and this is an algae bloom. Just keep doing water changes every week. Possibly 2x a week for a bit because I know large algae blooms can harm fish but I'm not sure to what extent it would have to be. Also try not to change the filter media to often in a new tank to be sure you have lots of good bacteria. You might want to check your nitrate/nitrite and ammonia levels in the tank too if your getting a bloom

I think that sounds about right. I've noticed some brown algae build up so I'll do another water change this week and watch it. Should I stick with 50% water changes or more/less.
I only changed my filter because I got some dried brine shrimp and they never come to the top for food so it just coated the filter in a nasty slime.

I'd stay about the same unless your nitrite,nitrate and ammonia lvl are high.

What's your filter? You shouldn't need to change the cartridge entirely early on. Take some of the murky tank water and clean the cartridge as best you can in it. Or switch out the cartridge for sponges (and clean those the same way. You probably don't need carbon in your filter, which is what's in the cartridge.

TrueEnvy and mimiheart are spot on right. My only suggestion is to upgrade your power filter.
To maybe an Auqa Clear or a Marineland bio wheel type. Buy one that is rated at least 2x your tanks water capacity.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom