Murky Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

w8tah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks -- i made this a different thread because its from a different cause than the other cloudy water i think

my smaller tank (10 gallon) has gotten decidedly cloudy in the last couple days -- i suspect its due to being new needing the gravel cleaned badly -- ( I just did about 20 % change and vac) is there anything else i should be doing to get htis back to sparkling?

TIM

the filter has been used on this tank before its a whisperer J, although i have a larger model i can put on with no problem.

The water is a bit hazy yellow with no visible particles floating around

Hi, w8tah. Hazy yellow sounds like the start of green water (algae). The overdue gravel cleaning may have kicked up excess nutrients into the water - voila, algae explosion. The same thing happened to me awhile back.

Feed the fish and then do a 50% water change/gravel vac. Turn off the tank light and cover the tank completely with a heavy blanket - you want no light to get in. If you have an airstone, crank it up - or lower the water level somewhat so the filter splashes more to keep the water well oxygenated. Maintain the total blackout for 4 - 5 days - no feeding or peeking. After the blackout, do a 50% water change. The fish and most live plants will do fine without food or light for five days, but the algae will not! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom