Murky water need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HayleyCropper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys. So I have a 60gallon tank with 1 black moor and 1 oranda (they’re quite large now) we found that flakes made the black moor float to the top so changed to Tetra gold Japan as they can’t eat floating food and this one sinks. Since feeding they’ve been perfect!.. but the water gets really murky really quick. Possibly over feeding (twice a day). We have a fluval 2.

Looking for advice really. Would you recommend live plants as don’t have any or would you recommend a new filter? It’s like the filter can’t keep up and gets clogged.

Sorry for the massive post but knew you guys could get help us. We’ve tried everything so far.

Please provide some more detail about your tank.

How long has it been set up? Do you know your water parameters?

How big are these fish?

What is your normal water change schedule? How much, how often?

You mention a fluval 2 filter? Im not aware of a fluval 2 filter. Do you mean a U2 filter? Or one of their 2 series filters (205, 206, 207?).

Hey guys. So I have a 60gallon tank with 1 black moor and 1 oranda (they’re quite large now) we found that flakes made the black moor float to the top so changed to Tetra gold Japan as they can’t eat floating food and this one sinks. Since feeding they’ve been perfect!.. but the water gets really murky really quick. Possibly over feeding (twice a day). We have a fluval 2.

Looking for advice really. Would you recommend live plants as don’t have any or would you recommend a new filter? It’s like the filter can’t keep up and gets clogged.

Sorry for the massive post but knew you guys could get help us. We’ve tried everything so far.
Hello, I believe you're tank is under filtered. Most will say that you want an in tank or hang on back(hob) filter gph to be 5-6x your tank volume. Canisters are 4-5x. I personally like 8-10 on all filters in my tanks. So the min gph w/these filters on a 60gal should be 300. Fluval u2 or 2+ is 105gph & the newer model fluval 207 canister is rated for 206gph. Both fall short & not properly filtering tank.
If on a budget look into sunsun hob & canisters. A little flimsy but if handled w/care they are great for the price. Been using sunsuns for 3+ years without having to replace anything. Hopefully this helps!!!!!

murky water now clear

i have been fighting cloudy white water for years in my 55 gal.
running sunsun canister and emperor 350 hob.
Have been an Aquarist for about 55 years since my dad started me when i was 8 years old. He passed a few years ago and had to dismantle his 100 Gal tank.

Added a few live plants and two days later my tank cleared. Amazing how quick i saw this happen. Start with easy plants like Amamzon Sword or Anubbias, or Crypto

Again we need to know a lot more info like mentioned above to really recommend anything

Never heard of a fluval 2 unless you’re talking about a 200 series canister. Hopefully not a u2 for a 2gal tank lol

If you’re using a 200 series canister I would personally suggest that it’s undersized. Goldfish are poop factories and do require more than typical filtration.

Plants will definitely help take care of some pollutants, but again if we’re talking about a 200 series filter on a 60g tank let’s face the facts that the filter is hardly up to the task. Yes it may support the fish themselves (barely) but it’s inadequate water flow is going to lead to buildup of food and waste in poor flow areas of the tank and lead to water quality issues.

Let’s get some more details on the filter and everything else first. If this is a relatively new tank then we’re talking a whole different story (but would still recommend more than a 200 series filter if that’s what you’re using)

Back
Top Bottom