Murky waters.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somethingfishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I seem to have the same problem as Sunplash in the post below:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=1215

I am not going to buy a new filter as I have just splashed out on a new EHEIM 2028. This by the way happens to be my new 130G the photo gallery section:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/modul...b7de2a626c903d0d0194b4&include=view_photo.php

I have also noticed that I have this white hair like fungusalgae growing on all my ornaments and glass. It appers on my plants as this brown furry algae. My pl*cos and snails are trying to keep up with the growth but are getting snowed under.

I have cut down the quantity of both feeds and amount fed at feeding time. My lights are going to be off for the next couple of days to try and clear it up.

Also my water looks a little murky, when I look into the tank from the front it appears to be OK, but I can see when I compare it to my other tanks that it is not clear. But when I look into it from the side I cannot see the other side, I get about 3/4 of the way down but then lost in the murkyness.

Is there anything else I can do? I did a 10% water change tonight to try and assist in the cleaning of the murk but I appear to have made it worse :? :x ? I am lost.

The last time I had this, I turned off my lights, cut down the feeding and and did a 20% water change and within a couple of days it all was well. Did I not wash the ornaments properly? Did I not wash the sand properly? Is there any chemical I can put in that will assist in the tank clear up with out harming the fish? I am not a great believer in chemical treatments but I need to do something about this murkey water.

The colour of the murky water appears to be a combination of white and brownish :? .

Many thanks guys.

Here's an idea

try using a combination of pclear and bclear, that will help clear up the biological and particulate problems within 24 hours.
It works for me very effectively.
cheers

Something fishy~
What I did was this: I did a really good gravel vac, then cleaned every decoration in the tank along with fake plants, cleaned the glass real well, scrubbed the bubble curtain and suction cups as well as powerhead, did a 35% water change and put in fresh filter cartridges. Even cleaned the outside of the tank with vinegar. The tank is pretty sparkly for now. I think the key is in the activated carbon. Keep me informed. Good luck! :D

Thanks all,

I am going to do another water change tonight, hopefully about a 50 - 70%. I cleaned all my glass yesterday, did a gravel vac.

Sun, I don't use carbon as it does remove some of the nutrients for healthy plant growth, although some plants can grow well with carbon, also it removes all medications from the water when you are trying to cure some diseases.

I think I also may have over done it on the pre-cycle treatment and added to many things at once which just caused this MESS :x .

But I shall succeed :lol:

Gareth, are we talking about you're 130 gallon here ? If so, just a reminder that in the tanks early stages, it isn't unusual for the water to turn mirky for a short period. I'm guessing it will be right as rain within a couple of days.
If you have fish in it now, I'd go for a 50% water change over a 70% as you don't want to fluctuate the temp. too much for the fish.

Good luck fella.

I did a 50% last night and the brownish tinge has gone, still cloudy but will do another change tonight.

I had a similar problem with my 55 gal. I changed the water as much and as often as I could safely. I cut back at feeding time.. I did everything I could to make the water sparkle, all to no avail. So after a week or so, I went back to regular water changes, and regular feedings. Lo and behold it is 4 weeks later andwhen I woke up this morning the tank was crystal clear. I thought I had noticed some improvement over the last week, but I figured it was just wishful thinking. I can only assume that it was bacteria and it has finally run its course. At any rate the cloudiness did not seem to affect my fish in any way, so I chalked it up to being just one of those things that happens. :D

Back
Top Bottom