Must read info on salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYgiantsRP

Aquarium Advice Addict
First off I don't work for this company, and have to reason to make them look good or anything but.....this is a website I use alot, very good quality stuff, very nice people to deal with. The page has a whole bunch of stuff, feel free to read and explore the site, but the most interesting is the salt info.

Arizona Aquatic Gardens - Top "Aquarium" Secrets!

I am new to the site and have see a lot of salt related stuff, so I figured I would post it. I don't put salt in my tank, only when I treated the ich. But they are pretty convincing.

Argue away.

That is the same BS that every company who tries to sell people salt for FRESHwater aquariums has been using for decades, sorry they haven't caught up with the 90s yet.

I tend to agree. The sections on lighting, substrate, and salt are misleading and without citation or proof. I run 10k bulbs and 6.7k, and I honestly don't see the difference in the plants, just in the color of the light.

From reading that page... They don't seem to understand why they reduce their salt dosage. They give a reason, sure, but they never tell you that the salt is never removed from your system except by PWCs. If you continue to add (too much) salt it will build up and kill everything (probably). They also never tell you that some fish simply cannot tolerate it.

They also recommend the use of bacteria in a bottle. 'Nuf said.

Salt was used in aquariums as a means of combating and preventing certain diseases such as ich, and to counter nitrite poisoning as explained here: Nitrite Toxicosis In Freshwater Fish or Brown Blood Disease
However, clean water will do much more towards preventing disease, so I would say salt has no place in modern FW systems except to combat disease. Many fish are salt sensitive and there is nothing to suggest that even fish that can withstand salt gain any benefit from it.
Interesting read: JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Personally, I wouldn't want to add any more salt than is naturally present.

--Adeeb

Ya, I'm not really sure what the purpose of SALT in a FRESHwater tank, but the only consistency in the salt is it's good for there gills.

Not really. They don't need it, period. Any needed trace minerals and hardness are supplied in tap water.

I wouldn't trust much of anything on AZ Gardens' website... JMO... much of the livestock is mislabeled on the site, and a quick Google search will turn up a ton of negative reviews. Not exactly a beacon of good info there. ;)

Back
Top Bottom