Mutiple timer issue for lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaaikop

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to know how you have your lighting setup, as far as timers
are concerned... I will have 2 x 36" Coralife double 96W units (so that
is 4 different timers already) plus the 60W unit supplied with the tank.

I know you can get those cheap analog timers at Home depot for
around 10$ a pair, but they are a pain to setup, especially when you
have power outages... Is there such a thing as a timer (digital if
possible) capable of switching multiple units?

My idea would be to switch all the lights one by one gradually in the
morning, and for the 60W unit, switch it on say, around 11:00 am,
and shut it down around 10:00 pm, while the bright ones are all switched
off, so I can enjoy watching my tank later at night. :?:

There is one made especially for aquariums. Someone posted it here some time ago and it looked great. I have individual Timex digital timers I bought before seeing the link.

I'm sure someone will know where they are.

Sounds like you've over complicated things. First, get a digital timer, well worth the money. They have a battery backup and it's much easier to syncronise muliptle tanks. Second; hook up a power bar to the timer and run multipe lights of the same timer. If you want to stager your lighting run a second timer.

You're probably thinking of the Coralife powerstrip that has a built in timer for half of the plugs.

I don't find any major benefit to staggering lighting fixtures, in terms of plant health. I've tried having half the lights turn on for a couple hours, then all lights, and then another half light at the end of the day. I saw no plant improvement, or reduction in nuisance algae, as opposed to 12 hours of 100% lighting.
I would suggest starting your photo period after the sun comes up, so the tank has a little ambient room light before it hits 300+watts of lighting. Some fish get a little spooked by a powerful lights-on, though they do tend to get used to it pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom