My 29 gallon stock? Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaBuddyHuddie

Aquarium Advice Freak
1 male guppy
1 Endler's livebearer
2 platies
6 gold long fin zebra danios
1 albino bristlenosed pleco
12+ cherry shrimp
A bunch of mini misc. snails

I want to add 2 black Moscow guppies, a dwarf cichlids (blue ram, preferably) and maybe an African dwarf frog.

I know this is a bit overstocked, but I do 30% water changes weekly and I have a large piece of driftwood with various plants. Floating and rooted.

I wanna hear some opinions on this, can it be done?

Your stocking should be fine but you will have to target feed the ADF as it won't be able to complete for food. Don't get a GBR if your tank hasn't been set up for a few months. They do much better in mature tanks. They are also very senitive to nitrates so you might want to up your WC to 50% weekly.

Personally I wouldn't add the frog but that's just me. Adding 3 more fish to your current stock is not going to hurt but I wouldn't put anymore in after that.

I've had many tanks and a lot of ADF's. I just love them for some reason haha. I've never had a Ram. I really love my shrimp and I've heard they'll eat them? Do you know if this is true? Will it harass other fish?

I forgot you had shrimp listed... it's a 50/50 chance that a ram or any dwarf cichlid might decide to munch on the shrimp. If you love your shrimp then do the guppies and the frog. But won't the frog eat shrimp? As for rams harassing other fish, usually not if it's a single in the tank.

Okay. I'll experiment with the ram. If it doesn't work I'll just return it to the local fish store. This seems hard...

I have cherry shrimp with my ram and I've definitely seem him nip at them but if your tank is pretty well decorated in favor of the shrimp I wouldn't worry tremendously about it. My tank has a couple of big pieces of driftwood surrounded by and covered in java moss so the shrimp are generally pretty safe in there. If he has gotten some of them I know there are enough shrimp to sustain their colony anyway. But yeah, each fish is different too. Love my ram! He eats everyday right from my hand. :)

That makes me more confident. They are beautiful fish and I can't help but to buy into the hype around them. I gotta have one! Haha

Back
Top Bottom