my 55 gallon tank.... pics included

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollin_22

Aquarium Advice Activist
just thought id post some pics of my 55 gallon tank... i have two columbian sharks, and five mollies.... you you cannot see any fish because my camera is not of the highest quality... thank you and i hope you enjoy...

Attachments

• 55galday.jpg
    55galday.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 55galnight.jpg
    55galnight.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 127
sherry said:
what is your tank sitting on at the ends?

Rollin, I seriously think you should find a better stand for your tank. Having your 55 hanging off the edge like that can cause it to crack on the bottom. The weight of the tank is not distributed evenly.

Oh and btw nice tank!

first thing i noticed too.. even though its only sticking out a small amount, the forces on the ends is like what happens when you hold a sick in both hands and snap it upwards (i hope you guys know what im talking about). Even if it doesn't break, think about the constant pressure on the mid-section of the bottom of the tank

YIKES!!!!

That's a nice looking tank, rollin, and we'd all hate to see anything happen to it.

As it is, it probably weighs about 550 pounds. Are you sure that desk can support that kind of weight?

Also, tanks are designed to be supported under the entire bottom plastic frame. Just an inch of overhang puts extra stress on the silicone seals holding the tank together.

You really need a 55 gal stand - check the classified ads, Walmart, Target, and the big pet store chains - they're not that expensive compared with a cracked tank and 55 gallons of water on the floor..

Even though it isn't the safest stand it might be all he/she has. Would placing it on long boards help support it? Is there anything that can be done to support the ends besides buying a stand? Just trying to help him/her. :wink:

Nice looking tank! :D

I could imagine getting a 3/4 or 1" plywood board, painting it with sealant and adding some styrofoam under the tank on top of the plywood (to prevent further uneven spots in the wood) should do the trick.
Leaving it like that seems quite dangerous to me!

Besides that, nice tank!!

Good point, Rondory. Rollin could put a thick piece of plywood under the tank to shore up the ends.

Doing so would require netting the fish and completely draining the tank. Even then, there would still be about 50 pounds of substrate + the weight of the tank to be carefully picked up so the plywood could be slipped underneath - definitely a three person job.

If Rollin's going to all that trouble, he/she might as well reset the tank on a real stand.

I got my 55 gal. tank stand at W.Mart for $76.99. It's a really nice stand too, it fits may 55 perfectly, you might want to check into that.....nice tank though.

QTOFFER said:
Doing so would require netting the fish and completely draining the tank. Even then, there would still be about 50 pounds of substrate + the weight of the tank to be carefully picked up so the plywood could be slipped underneath - definitely a three person job.

When I bought a stand for my 75 gallon I had to do all that. Me and my sister (she's fairly strong) managed to lift my 75 with at least 100 pounds of substrate in it. It wasn't fun at all but it was worth it! I felt bad for my plants though because they kinda had to dry out for a little bit.

If you have something else to put it on you can always add more support to hold up the tank. thats what i did with an old desk of mine. HTH

Back
Top Bottom