My 90 gallon plant tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

CC’s 90 gallon tank.

OK, everything up and running. I have about 50 plants, 35 different species. Probably don’t all like the same conditions, but we’ll see what happens. Pics coming eventually.

Lighting, 4 tube VHO aquasun tubes DIY canopy. Filter Eheim canister, 2217, probably should have sprung for a newer model. Heated coils under the substrate. Substrate, Mostly seachem’s fluorite, with a bottom layer of laterite.

Fish so far, 5 zebra danio’s, was 6 but lost one. Bunch of pond snails also. I need some Malaysian trumpet snails too, but don’t have any yet.

So far I have a few problems.

Some plants had very shallow roots, they don't want to stay planted, keep floating up to the top.

Water very cloudy, which I have NEVER had before, but I expect it to clear up with time.

VHO lights WAY hotter than I expected, temp 76-78, at least 4 degrees higher than I want. Prolly have to get a canopy fan, thank goodness there is room for it to fit.

2 algae problems:
string algae, not too bad yet, but could be ugly,

Green slime algae (cyanobacteria), not out of control, but started getting bad. I decided to treat with erythromycin (Marycyn is the same thing, but I have a bunch of ery left from a prescription, so I’m using that.) I know y’all are gonna say I shouldn’t do that, but it’s the same thing, so I’m doing it. Did a good bit of reading over on the Krib, ery seems to be the way to go with cyanobacteria.

I'll keep ya posted on the progress.

corvuscorax said:
CC’s 90 gallon tank.

OK, everything up and running. I have about 50 plants, 35 different species. Probably don’t all like the same conditions, but we’ll see what happens. Pics coming eventually.

Lighting, 4 tube VHO aquasun tubes DIY canopy.

440 watts? Nice lights!

Filter Eheim canister, 2217, probably should have sprung for a newer model. Heated coils under the substrate. Substrate, Mostly seachem’s fluorite, with a bottom layer of laterite.

Fish so far, 5 zebra danio’s, was 6 but lost one. Bunch of pond snails also. I need some Malaysian trumpet snails too, but don’t have any yet.

So far I have a few problems.

Some plants had very shallow roots, they don't want to stay planted, keep floating up to the top.

This is a problem I've had with Flourite. The particles are too big to hold down some of the smaller plants. I stopped using it.

Water very cloudy, which I have NEVER had before, but I expect it to clear up with time.

Bacterial bloom?

VHO lights WAY hotter than I expected, temp 76-78, at least 4 degrees higher than I want. Prolly have to get a canopy fan, thank goodness there is room for it to fit.

I run all of my tanks, planted, nonplanted and marine at 82. Everything seems to grow better there.

2 algae problems:
string algae, not too bad yet, but could be ugly,

Green slime algae (cyanobacteria), not out of control, but started getting bad. I decided to treat with erythromycin (Marycyn is the same thing, but I have a bunch of ery left from a prescription, so I’m using that.) I know y’all are gonna say I shouldn’t do that, but it’s the same thing, so I’m doing it. Did a good bit of reading over on the Krib, ery seems to be the way to go with cyanobacteria.

It's not the fact that you're using a prescription. It's the fact that you're using erythromycin at all.

Using an antibiotic will kill the cyano. The problem is, it won't correct the situation which allowed the cyano to establish in the beginning. As soon as the erythro is gone, guess what's coming back.

OK Bob, I really did try to research this, not sure what else I could/should do to get rid of the Cyanobacteria.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It sure sounds like you might be able to help me out here Bob.

The water is clearing a bit each day, dont think cloudiness will last much longer.

I planted heavy from the start, wanted my plants to out-compete the algae(or at least most of it) for the nutrients in the water column. I thought thats what I was supposed to do. Also, I have a 45 gallon tank I just slapped together with a soil substrate (layer of gravel over the soil) that has very little algae (little bit of cyano and a bit of string) problem, and crystal clear water. However, the soil makes for a very messy tank when I move any plants or do most anything in there.

corvuscorax said:
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How about some more info from you.

Do you inject co2? With that much light, supplemental co2 is not an option, it's mandatory. This in itself could cure your problem.

Nitrate levels? You need to maintain 5-10 ppm nitrate or the floating plants will starve.

Do you fertilize the substrate? Root feeding plants need nutrients. Flourite and laterite only supply iron. The plants need nitrogen and phosphate.

Phosphate level?

Do you add potassium? They all need potassium.

I planted heavy from the start, wanted my plants to out-compete the algae(or at least most of it) for the nutrients in the water column. I thought thats what I was supposed to do.

That's the theory...

Also, I have a 45 gallon tank I just slapped together with a soil substrate (layer of gravel over the soil) that has very little algae (little bit of cyano and a bit of string) problem, and crystal clear water. However, the soil makes for a very messy tank when I move any plants or do most anything in there.

What are you using for lights on this tank?

I'm at work now so I can't answer all of that, but some of it I can.

Forgot to mention on original post, Yes I am injecting Co2, 1 bubble per second.

Problem with test kit, will get back with readings Saturday.

I fertilized the substrate when putting the tank together. Used Jobe's palm/fern spikes. They came wthe Co2 setup I purchased, and were recommended a few places I read. Did not add any potassium.

45 gallon tank has 2 tube shop light, 80 watts total.

corvuscorax said:
Forgot to mention on original post, Yes I am injecting Co2, 1 bubble per second.

Depending on how you difuse it, this may not be enough. A 90 is a relatively big tank. Do you know the pH and kH?

Did you buy it from Dave Gromberg?

Problem with test kit, will get back with readings Saturday.

I fertilized the substrate when putting the tank together. Used Jobe's palm/fern spikes. They came wthe Co2 setup I purchased, and were recommended a few places I read.

I use these same spikes. How long has it been setup?

Did not add any potassium.

Potassium sulfate is available in any grocery store as "Mortons Salt Substitute". I add about 1/2 tsp/week to my 75. Dissolve it in water before adding to tank. You can't OD potassium, AFAIK.

45 gallon tank has 2 tube shop light, 80 watts total.

This is probably the reason for the difference between these 2 tanks.

OK, good suggestions Bob.

I'll definitely get the potassium sulfate, and dose at the rate you indicated.

The tank has been set up 2 weeks now.

Yes, I bought the Co2 from Dave Gromberg, Eheim diffuser. Actually the rate is a little faster than I said, 5 bubbles every 4 seconds. Many oxygen bubbles streaming off the plants, at least in the evening when I'm home.

I'll post as many readings as I can on this thread over the weekend.

Ok, readings,

Ph 6.8

Gh 140ppm

Kh 50

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, all came out 0, Tank only up 2 weeks.

I upped the Co2 to 2 bubbles per second.

Cyano pretty much gone. Will change 30% water this weekend.

Lots of dang brown fuzz algae now, still some string algae too.

If time permits, I will get some algae eaters this weekend also. I think I should have had some from the get go, but, as usual with this hobby, live and learn.

I didn't realize that our tank was so new. The parameters all seem fine though.

I would suggest adding nitrate. 5-10 ppm is desireable. Potassium nitrate is preferred for this. It's available as "Greenlight Stump Remover" (no kidding!). Also, Dave Gomberg I beleive used to sell it. Don't know if he still does.

Are you able to check phosphates?

Update:

Algae: Cyano has not yet come back, thread is under control for the time being.

Last week, I had pretty bad green water, *%^&*%^&*, not happy camper. Did not want to use chemicals, treatments, I hate that stuff, so I tried this. I did a 50% water change, and then covered the tank with a blanket and turned off the lights for 5 days solid. Uncovered last night, woo hooo!!! water almost crystal clear! No fish croaked either! The plants suffered some, some of the leaves died, but no entire plants kicked. Also VERY pleased with root development. I was mucking about some after uncovering the tank, and all the plants have rooted quite well, some are even puttin out runners. This should make thread algae removal much easier, as the plant will now stay where I want them instead of coming up at the slightest touch.

I will now switch to a regimen of 10 hours on for the lights and hope for the best.

I dont care if I'm talkin to myself this tank KICKS ASS!! All the plants look great, I moved my 3 angels in there today, and they seem very happy. I had them in my 20 for like 2 months and they were more than ready for more spacious accomidations. Well they have it and the tank ROCKS! I could not be happier with it.

Still no digi camera, but I have taken pics and will get this roll put on CD so I can show off. Comin soon fellers, comin soon.

Oh yeah, how bout them Terps!

Dude....on this site, your never talking to your self!

Oh yeah, get it developed at the one hour photo, come on....we're waiting :D

Back
Top Bottom