Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

my 90 gallons ammonia level...

I tested today, the ammonia is .5 ppm, how bad is this, and what should i do to reduce this

1 fan dance goby, 1 drawf redtip gourami, 3 silver hatchet fish, 1 baby blue zebra cihlid, 3 Green Panchax killifish, 1 madagascar rainbow, 1 dwarf neon rainbow, 1 aquatic frog

90 Gallon
1 CAE, 1 giant panda cory,2 green spotted cory,
2 giant danio. 1 large tinfoil barb, 1 rosy barb, 1 marbled goby,
1 purple spotted gudgeon, 1 jade goby, 1 red dwarf gouromi, 2 clown loaches,4 tiger barbs, 5 weather loaches, 3 blood parrots,1 firemouth cichlid, 1 goldfish, 1 Electric yellow cichlid, 1 Auratus cichlid, 1 Zebra Tilapia cichlid,
1 Yellowfin Borleyi cichlid, 1 purple peacock cichlid, 2 striped barbs, 1 figure 8 puffer, 1 electric catfish, 1 african butterfly fish
kukerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
How long has the 90 Gal been established?

What's the total inches of fish in there?

the kit that I have (Wardleys) says PH and temp also dictate what's "toxic" or unsafe

Old 01-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
I tested today, the ammonia is .5 ppm, how bad is this, and what should i do to reduce this
ANY ammonia at all is harmful for your fish.

Answer the questions above from Wizzard~Of~Ozz, and we'd be able to help you better.

Water changes will bring it down fast, but you need to find out what is causing the problem in the first place.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
Water changes will bring it down...

.5 is bad could kill fish easily over days.

Try and find out what is causing this...and fast!

Has your tank been cycled?

Here is an article that may be helpful:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/di...oniapoison.htm
Old 01-08-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

the tank has been established for months, thers probably 90-110 inches of fish
1 fan dance goby, 1 drawf redtip gourami, 3 silver hatchet fish, 1 baby blue zebra cihlid, 3 Green Panchax killifish, 1 madagascar rainbow, 1 dwarf neon rainbow, 1 aquatic frog

90 Gallon
1 purple spotted gudgeon, 1 jade goby, 1 red dwarf gouromi, 2 clown loaches,4 tiger barbs, 5 weather loaches, 3 blood parrots,1 firemouth cichlid, 1 goldfish, 1 Electric yellow cichlid, 1 Auratus cichlid, 1 Zebra Tilapia cichlid,
1 Yellowfin Borleyi cichlid, 1 purple peacock cichlid, 2 striped barbs, 1 figure 8 puffer, 1 electric catfish, 1 african butterfly fish
Old 01-09-2005, 12:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
Have you done anything recently? Did you test it after adding dechlorineated water?

Did you change a filter pad?

More info will help you get an answer.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

recerntly i changed filters, my old pengium HOB kicked so i got the fluval 404, i didnt add the old media, i figured with pumping 340 gph the bacteria would extablish its self on the ceramic rings rather quickly, should i add ammo chips to one of the compartments in there and do a 20 gallon change?

90 Gallon
Old 01-09-2005, 12:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like it is because of the change. Ammonia chips I never believed did much and hide the problem...It sounds just like a mini-cycle.

Keep up water changes until it reads zero (Possibly everyday just depending) for a few days.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

if you dont mind me askin how do they 'hide' the problem, if the water reads less ammonia after you add that to the filter, then there is less ammonia in the water, but i will do the water changes

90 Gallon
Old 01-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Your bacterial colonies feed on, and are dependent on ammonia to survive. You need bacteria to control the ammonia, so the ammonia removing chips deprive the tank of the ammonia that the bacteria need to establish themselves. That's why bacteria are known as "biofilter" because they filter your tank water as much as anything that you plug into the wall.

Remove the ammonia chips, do water changes, and eventually the bacteria that consume ammonia will populate the tank and you will no longer be able to detect any ammonia.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
90 gallon, ammonia, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com