my "alpha" barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treedae

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 4 tiger barbs and 1 of them chases the other 3 around and has shredded all of their fins to smithereens. Is this normal? His fins are the only ones with sheen and I would like for the others to follow suit. Any suggestions?

Tiger barbs chasing each other is normal, but usually very little if not no damage is done. Getting more barbs might work, but its not a sure thing. The only sure way is to return the bully. Melafix works well at repairing fins.

Most fish profiles suggest at least 6 tiger barbs. I have one that is dominant over the others but doesnt do much real damage. If you have the tank room get 2 more about the same size or even a bit bigger. A bigger tiger may put the bully in his place. If that doesnt work do as Endgame suggests and take the bully back.

6-8tigerbarbs is best they will spend more time showing off than nipping fins (if they are mix sex)

true. id try putting him in a quarentine tank for like a month or so. (if you have one) and when you put it back in it'll be the newest fish in the tank so it'll be the most picked on. since its the most agressive it'll be able to defend itself

Thanks for the replies everyone. Any opinions on introducing a different species of barbs other than of the tiger persuasion to alleviate this problem or do I have to stick with the verticle stripes?

maby ticto barbs they are very hard to find but they are very neat looking fish. but they are werth the serch. :D

I have 6 tiger barbs, an 3 green barbs and they all cooporate with each other. They like to play around alot, chasing each other. But no nipping.

But if there was another species in the tank..watch out...theyd kill it asap, I found that out the hard way :(

I have 7 tiger barbs in my tank and a buenes aires tetra who thinks he's a tiger barb. He plays with the tiger barbs and follows them around. I also have some cherry barbs who stay out of the whole mess with the tiger barbs and some zebra danios who stick to themselves.

I have noticed that two of the tiger barbs play/fight alot but they don't do any real damage to each other. Even when I only had 4 tiger barbs they were ok with each other but I think its because I also had the buenes aires tetra for them to harrass.

how is your aquascaping??? I found that lots of tall plants, rocks, etc. will create saftey "zones" that your barbs will utilize. the alpha barb will usually establish territory in one general "zone" and the others will learn the safe areas quickly.

This is also a good Idea if you also have more timid fish in the tank as well. such as cherry barbs, and danios.

Back
Top Bottom