My aquaclear 20 isnt working...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought this filter a while not too long ago, a month ago, was working fine, i moved it to my qt it was working fine. Then today, i moved the fish into the real tank then i moved the filter. I set it up on the back, didnt fill it with water, but there was still a bit in it from before the move, then plugged it in and it didnt start .... I really need this filter since it has a lot of bb in it, i have the media in the the tank not doing much, ill try and hang it above the airstone or something for now, but i would appciate some suggestions in case this has ever happened to anyone before. Please... I took the filter apart, but i dont really know what to look for. Thanks

Is it not starting at all or not flowing? I have the same filter and when I turn it off and turn it back on, I have to keep adding cupfuls of water for a few minutes until it starts flowing normally. Not sure if this is your issue but an experience I have. If you need a new filter mechanism you can always still use your filter media in the new one for your BB.

Usually I pour in water until it starts. It's probably not primed enough since you said you didn't add water

If its that it won't try and run at all, iv actually had that prob with one of my aquaclears. What I did was take the motor off (make sure there's no water in the filter) and clean out the pin wheel. I'm not even sure why that makes much difference but it worked on mine.. Hopefully you can get it figured out! Good luck

Mine stops occasionally... i just take a pen, nail, something like that... and turn the impeller... it kicks right on once I just nudge it.

2 reosons 1- make sure you take a cup and fill in filter b4 plug it in in then wait 1m becuase i heard aquaclears take a bit of time to start 2- take out the tubes and reasemble it from begining like new and clean the impeller

Clean impaller, and the hole!

Fill with water!

Then start!

If the impaller or the shaft is broken go to your lfs they should have the part, if not they can order it!! ( in canada for sure, U-S i dont know, Europe they can.)

Here its easy to have any hagen part, thats why the hagen product worth the price as you can have any part within a week if its not in stock at LFS. impaller for aquaclear 20 i have one i think!!

If you cant find any!

I did fill it with water after i plugged it in, but it didnt do a thing, but its ok now :) i eventually found a couple of hairs (dnt know how they got down there) twisted arund the impeller peice and once i took that off it worked which is awsome! But it was pretty hard to find which is why i didnt see it the first time. I shiuld have looked more carefully before i made a thread on it. But thanks for all your imput guys!

I have had this issue multiple times with my aquaclear 30. All I had to do was clean out the impeller shaft and nudge the impeller to get it going again. Also make sure that the media compartment is full of water before you start the filter.

Back
Top Bottom