My aquarium is being taken over....by algae!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyeyes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I really need help! I have had my tank for only 2 months. Everything was perfect (minus a case of Ick) and then last week i noticed a bit more algae growing than usual. I cleaned it up and thought nothing more of it, but now this week the algae has grown to almost completely cover all the gravel. It is all over the plants and ornaments! Also, one of my 3 plants died this week! Something is going on but i cannot figure out what or how to get rid of this algae. The strange thing is that my fish are all fine! They are as active and normal as ever. This is a Dark green colour, i've tried looking on the internet but i can't find anythign to help me. I have one little white catfish (i can't remeber what type he is!) but he doesn't eat this algae or pick at the ornaments like he used to, he does pick at the glass though, and there is none of the green algae on the glass....I need help ASAP on how to stop this algea from growing again!!! I have pictures of this algae but they are too big to post, let me know if u want to see them.

:mrgreen: :multi: :Fade-color :dope: !!!!! Welcome to AA !!!!!! :multi: :Fade-color :dope: :mrgreen:

What is your nitrate levels?
Well, your tank is prob going through an algae bloom. Is it cycled yet? It could be high nitrate levels, overfeeding or too much sunlight. In my experievce, my tank went through blooms of brown algae a nd it was everywhere, however it usually went away after a bit. Do a partial water change, it might help and if it is still that bad after a while maybe a tank blackout with only having the lights on for 1 hour a day.

sounds very much like cyanobacteria. is it more like thin blankets of algae? are there air bubbles trapped in it?
is it easy to pull off the rock, but then breaks apart? if you can take a little piece out...smell it...does it have a noticeable odor that's a mix of fresh cut grass and very sweet...overpowering?

this are all the ways I describe cyanobacteria.

Please post one photo, the one that shows the algae the best.

Thanks for replying guys! Malkore, the way you described "cyanobacteria" is exactly what this algae is like! I do not think it is from overfeeding, though maybe i will try cutting back to one feeding a day (vice two). What caused this bacteria and what can I do to stop it from growing again? What i did to clean it up was took out some of the rocks that were covered in it and rinsed them. I brushed off all of the plants and ornaments, scrubbed the glass, then i did a partial water change. There is no big clumps of the algae anymore but there is lots of little pieces of it still floating around or on the plants. Is there a certain type of (small) Catfish i could get to help my tank out? Or what else do you suggest? Thanks again!

I don't mean to sound stupid, But I've never heard of an "otto" before...could you please explain...

Back
Top Bottom