My Aquarium Rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can someone tell me if im reading this thread right,the cause of the blindness was due to not cycling the tank originally or something else?

Can someone tell me if im reading this thread right,the cause of the blindness was due to not cycling the tank originally or something else?

The cause was due to the slight ammonia spike during the mini-cycle of the tank. GBR's are known to be very sensitive, and need pristine water. That's why they need tanks that have been established for at least 6 months. My overconfidence kept her in the tank. The ammonia was less than .25 PPM for only 10 days to give you an indication of how sensitive they are.

The cause was due to the slight ammonia spike during the mini-cycle of the tank. GBR's are known to be very sensitive, and need pristine water. That's why they need tanks that have been established for at least 6 months. My overconfidence kept her in the tank. The ammonia was less than .25 PPM for only 10 days to give you an indication of how sensitive they are.
Never knew that a change that small could have such an impact,thanks for the quick reply and all the best looking after your blind GBR and the rest too!

My blind German Blue Ram passed away this morning. The last two weeks she stopped eating and the last few days started to get bloated. I just pray she did not die in pain. She did put up an amazing fight though for 8 months. Buried her next to her mate.

Good morning all,

It has been a while since I have made an update so I wanted to give you an update. Everyone is doing well. Since the tank is back to being fully established, I have had zero BBA issues. I do, however still encounter green spot algae on the slower growing plants. The plants themselves are doing wonderfully, and require regular trimmings. You you can see I removed the sword and added Alternanthera Reineckii Mini to add color to the tank. Christmas Moss was attached to the driftwood as well. The dwarf hair grass, Monte Carlo, and Dwarf Baby Tears are filling in perfectly too. Something unexpected also happened, my Anubias Barteri bloomed a flower (pictured)! First time in 4 years of having those plants. I also added Cardinal Tetras with some more fish to come after I refinish my wood floor. The shrimp tank is doing wonderfully as well with the blue dream shrimp running everywhere.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks lovely. And that flower is amazing. I have some GSA in a tank I am battling. I was advised to add phosphorus. It hasn’t gone away but it hasn’t progressed either.

Back
Top Bottom