My aunt is insanely crazy....(big tanks)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar98

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my aunt called me up and told me she wanted a discus tank. So ok im thinking 150gallon simple discus setup. So now about a month later she calls again and says she is redoing her basement and wants to set up 3 or 4 HUGE tanks. She is doing this instead of buying a new car. The dimensions on the tanks will be roughly 106"x36"x48" so around ~800gallons. Is she is getting four she is doing to freshwater and two saltwater. I told her this is going to cost more than buying a new car. She said that is fine. (She has no kids and has saved her money for a long time) so one freshwater is going to be a discus tank. One is probably going to let me stock. And the probably only one saltwater. A reef tank. I think she is crazy but whatever. I cant wait to start this project.

If anyone has any recommendations for custom tank builders in the PA,NJ,NY,DE areas let me know. So far the estimated price per just tank is $4,500.

holy crap. If she is doing two salty tanks then it might be a good idea to plumb both of them into 1 refugium. It would make upkeep easier.

WOW! Thats a dream come true! Ill have to visit yall!

Ya! It will be about 1-3months before the project gets started but at least i will have a home for my silver arow when it outgrows my 150 XD. Im the one in charge of stocking all the tanks!!! She wants one discus and one a saltwater reef tank. The other freshwater is up to me as long as she likes it.

Ya! It will be about 1-3months before the project gets started but at least i will have a home for my silver arow when it outgrows my 150 XD. Im the one in charge of stocking all the tanks!!! She wants one discus and one a saltwater reef tank. The other freshwater is up to me as long as she likes it.

Will she be able to manage 3 800g tanks? Lol the maintenance on them

Will she be able to manage 3 800g tanks? Lol the maintenance on them

She wont but i will be. The freshwater tanks will be ran off a big sump and a couple canisters. (I like majorly over filtering) and a fluidized sand bed filter or two. The saltwater will have a huge sump and multiple skimmers. She only lives about 20min away so i can go down there and spend an entire day a week doing maintenance.

hey, hope you are doing okay!

This must be so exciting for you!!! have you got any ideas for stocking yet???

hey, hope you are doing okay!

This must be so exciting for you!!! have you got any ideas for stocking yet???

Hey dude! I havent seen you on here lately!

Ya the one i get to stock will have various new world cichlids and a silver arowana.
Discus tank
20-25 discus
~50+ neon tetras
~50+ cardinal tetras
~15-20 denison barbs
10 angel fish
2 royal pleco
2 gold nugget plecos
Thats all i have so far

Reef tank
1 flame angel
Pair of orange clowns
Pair of black clowns.
Thats all i have so far XD

Hey dude! I havent seen you on here lately!

Ya the one i get to stock will have various new world cichlids and a silver arowana.
Discus tank
20-25 discus
~50+ neon tetras
~50+ cardinal tetras
~15-20 denison barbs
10 angel fish
2 royal pleco
2 gold nugget plecos
Thats all i have so far

Reef tank
1 flame angel
Pair of orange clowns
Pair of black clowns.
Thats all i have so far XD

Those discus are going to be a he'll of a lot!

Yeah, I just got back from holiday earlier on in the month so I guess i am still catching up with everything lol.

Wow, those all look awesome! For the discus tank You should see if you can find someone online that could sell you the discus, buying 25 discus from a pet store would be quite expensive I imagine lol. Also, what temperature are you going to put the tank at?

As for the saltwater one, that sounds nice!! I havent a clue about how to keep saltwater fish though so I wont say much more on that side of things lol. :p

Yeah, I just got back from holiday earlier on in the month so I guess i am still catching up with everything lol.

Wow, those all look awesome! For the discus tank You should see if you can find someone online that could sell you the discus, buying 25 discus from a pet store would be quite expensive I imagine lol. Also, what temperature are you going to put the tank at?

As for the saltwater one, that sounds nice!! I havent a clue about how to keep saltwater fish though so I wont say much more on that side of things lol. :p

Ya most of the discus will come from aquabid.
The temp will be kept at about 84 degrees

For the reef tank you should get a mystery wrasse, blue tang, and a school of green chromis.

Ah, okay! And do you think the barbs will be okay in that temperature? Seems a little high for them.

Back
Top Bottom