My Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta babe7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have one betta, I originally named him Teal, but he is better known as "Freak of Nature"/"Dumb Fish", don't get the wrong idea now, I love him dearly, I often say," he may be a dumb fish, but he's MY dumb fish!" I keep him in a one gallon bowl with his cave plant and rocks. He's a cool lil guy, I really like him a lot! He's about a year and a half years old, and about 2 1/2 inches long. He's blueish green, and the lil fins that hang down just before his head are a blood red color. i hope to get another betta in the future, a red one possibly, until then, i'll spoil Teal as much as I can! :lilangel: :B-fly:

I love betta's. I have six of my own, 3 males and 3 females and I also spoil them as much as i can. They are all seperate except for morpheus (beautiful dark red and the first male betta i purchased), and greedy (my forever eating red female betta) because I am tryin to breed them.

Betta's are great as long as you keep the males away from eachother or it's tale shredding time!

I'm glad you love your betta as well.

I wouldn't give up my betta for anything. I wish I could get a female for my betta, because I would love to have some of his babies, but it's not to be I guess.. :cry:

Im gonna move this to the Freshwater General discussion forum. Should get more attention there.

Betta breeding is not as easy as just putting a male and female in the same tank. Do some research if your going to try it. If the female is introduced incorrectly the male will attack her. I will give you the short version, but make sure you do some reading up on it before you try it.

Generally a 10 gallon tank is used as a breeder, filled only half full of water. The male is put in the tank. Float a cut in half styrofoam cup on top of the water. This is a place for the male to build his bubble nest. Stand a lamp chimney up in the tank. Put the female in the chimney. This allows the male to see her but not get to her. And where it is open on both ends it won't disturb the water much when you remove it. So as not to destroy the males delicate bubble nest. you will know when to release the female by the male displaying to her and building the nest under the floating cup. His and her colors will intensify. Carefully release the female. if he attacks her, put her back in the chimney, try again. If he attacks her again use a different female. Once he has accepted her, The spawning dance of the betta is a beautiful sight to watch. He will collect the fertilized eggs in his mouth and spit them into the nest. when spawning is completed remove the female. The male will tend the eggs. Washing them in his mouth and checking for unfertile eggs. Once they have hatched his job is done. remove him from the tank. Newly hatched bettas are very small. They will need to be fed napulli (newly hatched brine shrimp). If you succeed you are going to have canning jars with bettas all over the place. Good Luck. As your parents said. It is going to be a lot of work.

I would love to start breeding, but at the moment my parents are saying exnay for another tank, this whole SW thing is a little pricey.

Yes breeding can be difficult, I have bald patches on my head from pulling out my hair LOL (jk).
Angelstiger description is pretty close. Its not how I go about it, but every breeder has there own way. If anyone is wanting to try breeding I can give you some helpful sites. Like angelstiger said, you really do need to read up on it.

ashley

Here are some pics that i took with my webcam because I don't have a digital cam anymore. If i had a digicam i could take some great pics!

This is an opaque (white) crowntail male betta that i just received. He came all the way from Thailand!

white%20ct%20male4.jpg

white%20ct%20male%202.jpg

This is him making his bubble nest, he's ready to spawn!

Sorry for the bad quality pics but I don't have a digital camera :roll:

I have a betta, His name is WheatGerm, don't ask, my fiance named him, she thought it was hilarious, I just looked at her funny :| - But anyway I keep him in the 1/2 gallon set up with the undergravel filter and bubbler. He has a cool gargoyle statue on the floor :D - He's quite normal, eats and swims like usual, but a bit nuts every now and then. Thats about it, w00t. :fadein:

Back
Top Bottom