Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My betta is sick.

I got my better (Peter) in June and he has been a very health, active fish. I keep him in a mini bow 2.5 gallon tank, with some filter it came with. plenty of plants, and a little decoration. I feed him bloodworms 3-5 times a week. Also his water is never below 77 degrees. Just recently though his color started fading and he stopped swimming around, and eating. Today, he just sits at the bottom, and crawls around sometimes. He is a whole lot paler then he use to be. SO i thought maybe the filter wasnt good enough, and made to much current, so i got a new filter today and installed it along with a complete water change. What should I do to make him better? Is he just deppressed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peter.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	52387  

Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
New
Aquarium Advice FINatic

never do 100% water changes, it will stress / shock the fish, sounds like he might be depressed / stressed. Also, i recommend you get a 5+ gallon tank for him with a filter and heater and maybe some live plants

Old 09-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #3

I don't have money for one yet cuz im only a kid. Buy once i do ill get those. Ill try to spend more time with him. Do out think he's constipated?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
New
Aquarium Advice FINatic

its possible, heres a website all about betta diseases betta diseases
Old 09-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

the bloodworms may have caused the problem,pretty sure bettas arent supposed to have too much protien. and how old are you? i'm 13
Old 09-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #6

Im 14. and thanks for all the help people.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #7

I agree with the food. I would mainly give him fish flakes and throw in the bloodworm once a week. Plus, you may be feeding him too much which would result in poor water quality.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatty View Post
I agree with the food. I would mainly give him fish flakes and throw in the bloodworm once a week. Plus, you may be feeding him too much which would result in poor water quality.
flakes arent very good for them,most pellet foods(floating,bettas are surface feeders)are better
Old 09-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
Look It Up

I would feed him a pea (get a frozen pea, thaw it out, take the skin off, mush it up and put it in the tank); if he eats it it'll help with his digestion. Then fast him for a day after that. If he isn't any better then it's something other than constipation/swim bladder. I also wouldn't rely on the bloodworms as its only source of food; try a betta pellet.

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com