My betta keeps jumping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettababy29

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My female betta keeps jumping up into the corner of the tank and sitting there. I've had to push her back down four times already. Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• image-1010382848.jpg
    image-1010382848.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 111
How long has your tank been running, was it fully cycled, have you tested your water parameters? Some fish are jumpers, but it can also be sign of a the water not being too hospitable and the fish trying to escape. An API master test kit or similar will help check your parameters - especially important to know are the ammonia and nitrite readings. Do you have any other fish in the tank that are exhibiting different behavior patterns?

well I just went to petsmart yesterday and got my water checked and the lady said just to do a 10% water change and I did. my male betta is fine he swims around happily and eats normally. my other female, she sleeps a lot and stays hidden in her castle all day long. but that's about it. only pinkie jumps/attempts to jump out.

It's great that you got the water tested - did they give any indication what the readings were? A 10% PWC is a good start, I'd be looking at at least 10-20% water change per week just to keep things running nicely. A liquid test kit, whilst a $30 or so investment at the outset, is a great tool to have so that you can start to monitor and keep track of the water yourself.

As for the behavior, I don't know. Is there any sign of aggression from the male if you have two females in there? How big of a tank is it?

Bettas are escape artists. Mine tend to jump the fence all the time.
Is there anything in the tank that might be spooking her? How new is she to the tank?
Does she have tankmates?

Back
Top Bottom