My betta probably finally ate a ghost shrimp what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I came home today and my bettas stomach looked larger then usual like a lot larger there was two exoskeleton looking things of the shrimp left so I'm guessing he ate them
What now?
Not feed him for awhile?
Let him just finish off the rest of the smaller shrimp? my bettas small so it was probably the smaller ones
Advantages and disadvantages of him consuming the ghost shrimp?
Thanks!

Hey!

Poor ghostie :( ah well. Cycle of life.

It's a very nutritious meal for him.

Don't feed him for two days, I'd say, if he ate the whole thing. Allow his stomach to return to normal.

The only downside is perhaps too much protein over time can be harmful. Just dont feed him a shrimp a day.

If you've got more shrimp, I'd leave the skeletons in.

MABJ said:
Hey!

Poor ghostie :( ah well. Cycle of life.

It's a very nutritious meal for him.

Don't feed him for two days, I'd say, if he ate the whole thing. Allow his stomach to return to normal.

The only downside is perhaps too much protein over time can be harmful. Just dont feed him a shrimp a day.

If you've got more shrimp, I'd leave the skeletons in.

I think he just ate another D: I'm not concerned about the shrimp it's the betta I know they'll eat if given the chance and now that he's found out these shrimp are food he's gonna take out the small ones idk what to do

Are you sure the shrimp didn't molt? It's not that unusual for a betta to eat shrimp, so I'm not sure what you mean by what you should do, they have to be separated or just let him eat them all. Ghost shrimp are usually feeders anyhow.

jetajockey said:
Are you sure the shrimp didn't molt? It's not that unusual for a betta to eat shrimp, so I'm not sure what you mean by what you should do, they have to be separated or just let him eat them all. Ghost shrimp are usually feeders anyhow.

I haven't had one eat shrimp before till now and I see three exoskeleton looking things as of today the things is I fed the betta in the morning he looked fine I came home the betta looked stuffed I mean like his stomach was a bulge and I saw the three exoskeletons so I dont know the shrimps the only thing besides the algae pellet pieces I feed shrimp and corys that could make his stomach like that

From my experience, he definitely ate at least one.

Jeta is right, you can do one of two things, leave them in or take them out.

OR I'll add in this little stipulation, if you add caves + lots of plants/moss, you'll give the shrimp a chance, and the beta a fun activity.

From my experience, he definitely ate at least one.

Jeta is right, you can do one of two things, leave them in or take them out.

OR I'll add in this little stipulation, if you add caves + lots of plants/moss, you'll give the shrimp a chance, and the beta a fun activity.
I vote that you should remove the shrimp. I personally die a little inside when fish (or shrimp) are left to die or be killed by bigger fish.

I find it really odd that the thought process here is that the betta sucked out the guts of the shrimp from the exoskeleton and spit the exo out. Is that basically what you think happened?

I'm just kinda doubting that could happen. And if your betta ate 3 ghosties, he's got a real death wish. Like death by implosion. That would be crazy. Ate one? Don't doubt that. Ate three? Have a big problem believing that.

I figured by exoskeleton, the OP meant remnants of the shrimp. My previous bettas have never eaten an entire shrimp. There are just certain parts the fish just doesn't like certain parts.

And if the OP leaves the skeleton in, it'll provide some food/nutrients for the remaining shrimp.

If it truly is just an exoskeleton, then Lynda is right, the shrimp molted, case closed.

That's a thought. I wasn't getting "bits and pieces", I was getting as if the shrimp had molted. OP, can you please confirm what you found as evidence?

I thought perhaps there was a bit of description confusion. I'm sure the op will clear everything up

Okay well the whole exoskeleton being left cause he ate it is speculation from reading other info on google I've had them molt before so I didn't think much of it until I saw the size of the bettas stomach
He could've possibly only ate two things to make his stomach bulge out I wasn't home at he time when it happened so I can only guess
1- a ghost shrimp since bettas have the reputation to eat them I guessed he finally ate one or two or whichever amount my tanks too heavily planted to exactly count them up
2- a piece of an algae pellet I break them up to pieces so everyone gets their share the betta could've been scouting the ground for food an ate a piece?
I'm pretty baffled but thanks for reading and trying to help guys

Oh yeah dropsy I forgot about that D:
Well his stomach is going back to normal and his scales didn't like poke out could he still have it?

Back
Top Bottom