My Betta Won't Grow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rallycat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! Got another problem here, if anyone can help out. I have a red betta that I'm about to switch from his planted bowl to a 5gal community tank (guppies) in hopes that he'll grow a bit. He's been in my care for about 6 months, gets food every day, but looks Super scrawny! He was small when I bought him, but I have a creeping suspiscion that he may be a she. :?
Either way, he/she's been eating Wardley's and wolfs it all down as soon as the pebbles hit the surface.
Will the bigger tank promote growth? Any food switches or tips I can use to get a BIG beautiful betta? :D

Mine was pretty small when I got him and he stayed the same size. I was hoping cuz he was small he'd be younger and live longer...

Why do you think it's a she?

Scrawny as in small or emaciated?

He might not take well to the guppies BTW. I've heard bettas may attack guppies b/c they think they're other bettas cuz of the flowy fins. They can be pretty iffy with other tankmates.

I think it's a she because he's so very small, I noticed the females are usually a bit smaller than the males. And scrawny as in both! He eats ALL the time, but doesn't get any larger.
Also thanks, I had no idea the betta might get jealous of the guppies. I think I'm going to let them share, keep a pair in a beeder net and let the betta have free run of the tank for the most part.

I couldn't keep guppies in with my betta either. Funny you should mention the possibility it's a girl. I thought mine was too (hence the name Angel). He was from the LFS and was very small. It was about 5-6 months before I saw enough finnage to be convinced she was a he. Back and forth, long-finned female, short-finned male??? :roll: He is clearly a male. Funny thing is that he unfortunately lost ALL his fins due to a dreaded attack with a non-compatible fish (I don't even ask LFS store people anymore). :x I was exremely worried since it took him so long to grow his fins. 10 weeks later, it was like it never happened. All I can say is that I've heard unfavorable remarks about Wardley's.

Cool, thank you all so much. I'll hook him up with a 5gal of his own and switch him to hikari gold and bloodworms (I hope dried will be ok), all my previous bettas seemed to love that stuff. Much appreciated! :mrgreen:

Frozen is more nutritous than the freeze dried... but both are good. Good luck!

-brent

PS- hrm... how did you get so many kudos? lol. with 16 posts you have more than i do! :roll:

Thanks again! :D Annnd.. I have absolutely No idea.
Maybe it's because I always post in the 'unhealthy fish' forums, you know, like pity-kudos. :p

Because hes older he wont grow as fast as he would when he was younger, but the trick to growing bettas (sounds like i'am talking about plants! lol) is clean water and a variety of foods- mostly clean water tho.
I've seen bettas adult sized at 2 months- I asked the breeder what the secret was: Water changes everyday(50%-100%), and plenty of good foods. It was amazing, and a little discouraging comparired to my babies, who are regular size LOL

Anyway, he'll be a lot happier in the bigger tank, especially with all the guppies to chase! :wink:

ashley

Back
Top Bottom