My Bettas 6.5 inch aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pettygil

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Bettas 6.5 inch aquarium. every 3 or 4 days I have to do water change, is every 3 or 4 days normal to clean a tank this size? I have high amounts of Ammonia. Thanks. :):fish2:(y)

You have ammonia in your tap water. What level of ammonia do you have after your water change and what level of ammonia do you have after 3 or 4 days before you do the next water change?

You have ammonia in your tap water. What level of ammonia do you have after your water change and what level of ammonia do you have after 3 or 4 days before you do the next water change?

When I check my water I have high ammonia, after water change I have no ammonia. After 3 or 4 days I have high ammonia. :thanks:(y)

My Bettas 6.5 inch aquarium. every 3 or 4 days I have to do water change, is every 3 or 4 days normal to clean a tank this size? I have high amounts of Ammonia. Thanks. :):fish2:(y)

6.5 INCH?????? I think you mean Gallon. ;) ;) (y)
If you are getting that much ammonia after only 3-4 days after a water change, you are probably overfeeding. Cut back on the food as some of it is decaying in the tank. Since there is only the one fish in the tank, it's not from overcrowding, it's not from being uncycled and you claim the ammonia level is 0 after the water change so it has to be the food or the filter needs to be rinsed more frequently which is usually because of over feeding. :whistle:
Just for giggles tho, check the ammonia level in your tap water. ;)

I meant to say gallon

6.5 INCH?????? I think you mean Gallon. ;) ;) (y)
If you are getting that much ammonia after only 3-4 days after a water change, you are probably overfeeding. Cut back on the food as some of it is decaying in the tank. Since there is only the one fish in the tank, it's not from overcrowding, it's not from being uncycled and you claim the ammonia level is 0 after the water change so it has to be the food or the filter needs to be rinsed more frequently which is usually because of over feeding. :whistle:
Just for giggles tho, check the ammonia level in your tap water. ;)

Yes! I meant to say gallon :lol: I am only feeding 3 small pellets, that is not over feeding, as far as I know. I feed 3 small pellets every day. i tested my water from the tap water and it shows 0 ammonia. I tested with Api liquid test kit. :cool::dance:

Yes! I meant to say gallon :lol: I am only feeding 3 small pellets, that is not over feeding, as far as I know. I feed 3 small pellets every day. i tested my water from the tap water and it shows 0 ammonia. I tested with Api liquid test kit. :cool::dance:

Consider that a Betta's stomach is about the size of it's eyeball so even tho they are small pellets, they may still be too much. Try cutting back to 1-2 pellets every other day and see if you are still getting such a rapid ammonia level. (y)

Sure I will do

Consider that a Betta's stomach is about the size of it's eyeball so even tho they are small pellets, they may still be too much. Try cutting back to 1-2 pellets every other day and see if you are still getting such a rapid ammonia level. (y)

Sure I will do. Thank you!

I still have high ammonia in betta fish tank.

I still have high ammonia in betta fish tank. I cut back on the amount of pellets I am feeding every few days, just one pellet. I do water change every few days, I clean the gravel. I do not know what else to to. My tap water has 0 Ammonia. I tested with liquid test kit.

Get a bucket of tap water and check it for ammonia. If there is none, add a few handfuls of the gravel from the aquarium and put it in the bucket of tap water. Leave it there for a week and check the ammonia level several times during the week. If you get an ammonia reading in the bucket of water, the gravel is producing it and you will need to swap the gravel.

If there is no ammonia in the bucket of water after one week, go through the aquarium and lift any ornaments, rocks or driftwood and gravel clean under them. Then monitor the ammonia levels in the tank for a week.

If you still get ammonia levels after that, remove any wood or rocks and put them in a bucket of tap water and test that for ammonia over the course of a week.

Back
Top Bottom