My birthday present - need help/advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
When Daniel asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I asked him for the 5 or 6 gallon Eclipse desktop aquarium, as I wanted to start another tank on my desk at work...my previous one was only 2 gallons.

So I get home from class last night to this huge present wrapped standing by the front door....so I think to myself, ok, so he didn't get me a tank, whatever it is, I am sure I will be happy with.

Well this is what was under the wrapping paper http://www.jbjnanocubes.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d761.html

I am scared and excited!! I need ideas!! Freshwater and saltwater (but keep it saltwater simple since I have never done it before).

Ideas ideas ideas - I just do not know what I am going to do with this thing...lol, putting a beta in there just seems silly now.

thank you all!!

My concern with a planted tank is that I don't want to grow and algae-fest....it's got 18W for 6 gallons! my goodness! Is that possible without CO2?

Smaller tanks need more light than larger ones as far as planting goes, so really 3wpg is low-medium light. :) Definitely possibly without CO2....you could use Flourish Excel as a carbon source.

That is awesome! Congratulations and Happy Birthday!
I can't wait to hear (and see) what you do with it........ :multi:

Another vote for a nano reef here. Otherwise, a planted tank would be great. You could get some small plants like dwarf sag, micro sword, pygmy chain sword, etc.

Happy B day Lori.

What a great gift!!! That Daniel is toooooo much!!!!

I'd do the planted tank with Excel as well. Perfect size for growing a nice carpet of downoi.

my lfs has both set up, (rummynose planted and nano reef)...i get lost in both of them. I would have A hard time deciding. I would probably go with the planted tank, just cuz I could cycle it faster ;)

thanks everyone! I am going to post in the nano reef section just to see what kind of work it would take, as this is my job and I can't spend too much time fiddling with the tank!

It's most likely going to be a planted tank, just want to make sure....

First step is to clean off my desk, lmao!

If you want planted FW, try to replace the 50/50 bulb w/ a 6500-6700K one. 18W for 6g may be a little low, but it's more light than I have in my minibow and I've grown better Cabomba there than in my 46g.
I'd put Anubias agustifolia or a Crypt., maybe some HC or dwarf hairgrass, shrimp (CRS, Amano or cherry), 2 Otos and either some rasboras or small tetras in there (Pristellas, probably).

If I unwrapped that exact box for my BD, I'd be shopping for 10# coral sand, 8-10# of dense LR and reef crystals and starting my fishless cycle w/ a little NH3.

Then I'd add a watchman goby, pistol shrimp along w/ a few hermits & snails and (maybe later on) a filefish.

Back
Top Bottom