My black goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floppenfins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have a 75 gal tank with tropical fish and I had a snail infestion so I got 2 goldfish to eat the snails. 1 died and and the other one started turning black and blacker every day so I'm wondering what is going on??!!

Dear Floppenfins,

Without some more information it's hard to say what is going on. For example beyond the size of the tank: what is the other stock in the tank (you might be overstocked and the goldfish is the"canary in the coal mine" or for example plecos have been known to kill goldies); how long has the tank been cycled; do you have plants, if so what and how many; what are your water #'s, especially ammonia (the black could be ammonia burns); what is your filtration (Goldies need 10X per gallon per hour); how often and how much water changes.

It is also possible, not knowing the age, size and type of goldie, that the goldfish is merely changing colors. They do. Most start off black and turn to orange. But some after being black, turn orange, revert to black and then on to another color before they mature.
Peace,
Chris

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom