My bummer story...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a female kribensis about 3 weeks ago. She acclimated well and was active in the tank. She and the bristlenose pleco would argue over hiding spots a bit, but no real damage done.

I had room in my tank for a bit more. I considered going back to get a male kribensis, but thought that would be pushing it in a 20. So, I decided to get a small group of schooling fish.

I went to a small LFS that I had not previously purchased fish from. I found some long finned zebra danios and long finned leopard danios. Got one of each and popped them in the tank (after acclimation, of course).

The danios were freaked out a bit, which seemed normal to me. I had danios once before and they did this for a few days before they settled. They stayed at the top for the most part, but no one seemed to be picking on them for several hours before bed time. The next morning the zebra danio was dead. I blamed it on bad stock from the small fish store. They did have 7 day return policy so I thought I would try again. Got another long finned zebra danio. The next morning the leopard danio was dead as well. Hmmmm.....

Decided not to replace the leopard danio until I figured out what was going on. I did notice that the kribensis seemed to be hiding more. The next morning the replacement long finned zebra danio had no tail. Someone had chewed it off completely. He was still alive, but when I moved him into a small tank on his own, he bit the dust pretty quick. Three dead fish in 3 days.

So, now I know someone was aggressive in the tank, but not until after dark. And I am guessing the other danios might have been picked on after dark and stressed to death even though their fins seems to be in tact when I removed them. Or, I just didn't look close enough for that kind of damage. It could be the kribensis, or it could be my guppy, which has been the cause of the demise of at least two other fish.

Now I am stuck. I don't want to add any other fish because they will likely end up dead. My husband (surprisingly) suggested looking at the male kribensis again, but I am still not sold on that being a good idea. AqAdviser says I would be at 98%, so according to that it might not be too far out of line. But, I am not sure a krib pair will work in a 20.

Not really looking for advice, just sharing my bummer story. If you have an opinion for or against the male krib option I would hear it. It might be better to just leave well enough alone, since everyone I have now is getting along.

I wouldn't highly suggest the fact that the kribensis may be the cause of this problem. Although not an owner myself, with a bit of research, you will see that they can be stocked with Zebra Danio's. Not sure about the guppy. Someone might correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, could you give us an exact stock of what you currently have in your tank?
Also, I might think that adding more fish might be pushing a bit on the stock, IMO*

Did the female lay eggs while hiding? They get extremely aggressive when guarding eggs/fry. Adding a male will be fine until they breed. When i had my pair I would have to remove the female or she'd get beat up pretty bad.

The little female would chase anything away when breeding, even adult angels.

So I just want to see if I have this right. You have a bn, female krib, guppy in the twenty, but every time you put danios in they get semi murdered in the night. Yet the guppy is ok?

I'm thinking either you have a krib issues or some sort of mutant guppy of doom. If its the krib perhaps rearrange the tank when you get new danios. I find it strange that the danios would be dealt damage and not the guppy, so it might be more of a 'you're new, get out' thing, which could be helped with rearranging.

If its the guppy, is it male or female? I find females to be much more of jerks than males and they actually reach the body size to prove it. In that case perhaps sequester it until you build up the danio school and then rerelease her back to the main tank. It should leave them alone when that out numbered and the danios should be a little more confident of their right in the tank during the guppies absence.

Just a side note, my bn will troll for 'unwell' fish if he's not getting enough food.

In order to figure it out though you need more danios and time to watch the tank at night. Maybe get three new danios, rearrange the tank and go from there.

I know adding another fish might be filling out my stock, but not completely blowing it. Obviously adding anything is a risk at this point because of what happened here. A male kribensis is also a risk.

20g: bristlenose pleco (3 inch), guppy, female kribensis, 5 rummynose tetras, 25% WC each week, light feeding

I don't think the kribensis laid eggs. I think she was scared of the new fish. Now that they are gone she is out and about again.

I am inclinced to just leave things as they are. I have room for another fish, but not the patience because I don't want to have another one get chewed.

Back
Top Bottom