Hi and welcome to the forum
The people working for your water company are slack and stupid. They overdosed the ammonia and now you have toxic tap water. Report it to the newspapers and state government. If you have 8ppm ammonia in the tap water, that is illegal and above world health safety limits. You don't want to be washing or bathing in water with ammonia and you certainly don't want to drink it. Nothing should be in contact with it or ingest it because it's poisonous.
Buy a bag of Zeolite (Ammogon) from a pet shop and fill a container with tap water. Put the Zeolite in a filter and pop that in the bucket of tap water. Leave it to run until the ammonia level is 0ppm. Then dechlorinate that water and it for water changes. If you don't have access to Zeolite, add some floating plants to a container of tap water and give them lots of light, they should use the ammonia.
You can recharge the Zeolite by soaking it in salt water. Buy a bag of swimming pool salt and get a plastic chamber hydrometer (used to measure salt levels in marine tanks) from a pet shop, and make up a 20litre (5 gallon) bucket of salt water and put the used Zeolite in it and leave it to soak for a couple of days. Then the Zeolite can be re-used. Some packets of Zeolite have instructions for the amount of salt to use and if you can find that, you won't need to get a hydrometer.
If you use a plastic air operated box filter filled with Zeolite, you can simply leave the Zeolite in the filter when you move it from the bucket of tap water to the bucket of salt water, and back again.