My common pleco...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a tank for a year now. I wasn't a fish person before my sister's fish unexpectedly gave birth (dalmation mollies). I bought a tank and saved what I could (two). They grew to be quite beautiful and I did a lot of research to try and keep them healthy. However, jobless and at the time I didn't have a car or license, I couldn't buy anything to test water, no water heaters, nothing fancy whatsoever. I just managed. One of them died after four months; the other died tonight, at one year old exactly.

I loved her, and the previous fish I had that unfortunately didn't make it. The others I've had were three guppies and a yellow fish I cannot, for the life of me, remember. Two of the guppies I got before I realized the tank was still too young for them to survive. I felt horrible and was intent on not getting anymore. After the second molly died, I was afraid my other would die without company. So when I was at the store I got a guppy, the yellow fish, a dalmation molly (that apparently was sick when I got him, and the transfer was just too much on him. :/ ), and the common pleco. The pleco was about 3 inches - I thought it was one of the small ones. When the dude handed the bag to me and I saw the big one, I wasn't sure what to think. I didn't know anything other than it was an "algae eater" (which, of course, I figured would help keep the tank healthy.)

The yellow fish died four or so months later when it got stuck in a crevice of a castle decoration and cut off his tail. It died and then the guppy died.

Back to two fish and again swearing not to buy anymore. Geldy, the dalmation molly, was just fine and so was the pleco. Except the pleco (named him Shinoda...) was bigger. I didn't notice, though; perhaps because I see the tank every day and his size wasn't much an issue?

Anyway. I went on putting less flakes in the tank since I didn't want to overfeed and kill Geldy. Smart move. Right? No. I got a weird feeling Shinoda wasn't looking too well. After research, I found out he's not at all what I thought he was all this time. He couldn't live off algae alone - especially when the tank is sparkly because of him! >.<

So I began feeding more, but I kept an eye on Geldy, making sure she wasn't getting bloated from overeating. I did my best, I'd like to think, but I know it wasn't enough. During water changes, I didn't know the water needed to be sucked out from the bottom, so I've been using a pitcher and scooping.

Geldy started getting less active a few weeks ago. This past week, on the only opportunity a week I have to go to the only store with semi-(or is psuedo the word?) sense in taking care of fish, I decided to talk to someone and figure out what I could do to make the fish tank better, that I was worried about Geldy. I came home with wafers for Shinoda and a pump to properly change the tank's water.

Geldy wouldn't move. I tried doing research, but by then it was too late. 11:20 pm of 11/9/2010, she passed away.

The whole experience, coupled with an already stressful schedule and this horrible, bad-luck-ridden day, has left me bereft. I want to take care of Shinoda like I couldn't for Geldy. It sounds so weird hearing it, because fish are fish, right? I don't think so. They might not want to snuggle (or even be compelling enough to snuggle if it were possible), but looking at them and watching them gives a kind of peace or calmness. With Geldy gone, it looks so empty.

I'm just afraid. I don't want Shinoda to die and I'm afraid I'm not making enough money to buy a bigger tank, that I may not have the space for it, that I may screw something up and he'll end up like the others.

What do I do? Should I try to make this work, or is it too risky and I should find him a home where I know he'll be taken care of the way he needs it? I would love to raise him right and keep him happy; I love looking at the tank and just knowing he's there. But at the same time...I don't want to do something wrong and kill him.

PS. I'm sorry if any of this is hard to understand. It's 1 AM here and I've had little sleep, so there's probably a bundle of horribly worded stuff and bad grammar above. Sorry. :/

PPS: My tank is 10 gallons, and Shinoda is now 5-6ish inches long. I don't know how long I have to make a decision/save up if I can afford it...

The pleco if it is common will get huge Much too big for a 10gal. Also as you may have seen it grows fast. So ireccomend getting rid of the pleco and going to get snails. Snails will do the plecos job just they wont get big.
For the tank yues you do need to siphon because that will become a breeding ground for ammonia.
Now for what to put in the tank, is it heated? It is great to get a heater to keep the tank a regular temperature and opens the gate to many fish!
Also sorry about the fish I agree fish arnt fish they give me pride to look at them and it calms me down too

No heater. That was another thing I couldn't afford (and isn't offered at a local store, so I have to make a special trip to get it.) Finding a home for Shinoda might be difficult, because I don't know anyone around here who is a hobbyist (a GOOD one) where I know for sure he'll be OK.

I talked with my family about it and I probably have 6 months to a year before I need to upgrade (well, I know I need to now, but it's not feasible at the moment.) and I'm going to try to budget for a 55 or 100 gallon, a table for it, heater, and proper filter and stuff for it. As well as driftwood, fast-growing plants the pleco can munch on and hide in. I like that he's a hardy fish and I honestly don't mind him getting so big. I just need to be sure I can take care of him, you know?

Thanks for the response; I may look into snails if it comes to that. If I do end up unable to take care of him and (hopefully) can find a home for him, I don't think I'll get more fish, not for a while more. I'd need to practice taking care of the tank without fish so when there are fish it won't be such a fiasco.

I need to see if the petco has any pH balance thingies. They test the water for free, however. Maybe I'll take a cup to them next week when I go back and see what I need to do.

// Edit: I forgot to add; how often does a common pleco need fed a disk? I read the bag but it doesn't say how to ration it, just warns about overfeeding. Any advice? //

do you have the LFS test your water? what are the ammonia, nitrite & nitrate levels?

i wouldnt worry much about trying to keep the PH at a specific level. Fish can adapt to a wide range of PH levels and having a consistent PH is MUCH better then having PH swings.

is there any type of filter on the tank now? whats the temperature of the water? any lights?

basically, the more info you can provide to us, the better we can help you out.

I've never checked the PH levels because I didn't know how/where to get the stuff/how much it cost. I didn't know Petco could test the water until yesterday after talking to the associate there. I plan on taking some water with me on my way to campus next week, which is the only opportunity I have to go there, to get it tested. I'll let you know when I do.

No idea about the temperature; I'll let you know when I get a thermometer for it. (Not trying to sound like I'm putting it off, I just really can't get one until I'm paid. :/ )

One light, from the tank's lid.

According to the wall thermometer, it's around 68-70. Comfortable-ish.
And the pleco just jumped out the water and darted around the tank! This can't be good...

Sorry, missed the filter question. I have one, it seems to work fine.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I have a pleco that I will eventually have to give up, since I can't get a bigger tank. Try to find a good LFS to take him to? The "mom and pop" ones normally take them and can be pretty strict on who they will sell them to.

I bought it a month or two ago (the old one died after an electric storm), and I didn't clean it as often as I should (maybe once a month? :/ ). I plan on cleaning it again tomorrow, if I don't have time to do it after work tonight. Just finished changing the water (the tank looks horribly cloudy though, I don't think I did a good job... I'll try again either tomorrow before work or the day after, once the water and everything has settled...)

I think it's an Aqua Tech filter. Hopefully I can get a heater next week too, I don't think they're that expensive.

(Sorry for sounding a little short/pessimistic or something earlier. Past couple weeks has been stressful/slap upside the head concerning the fish.)

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I have a pleco that I will eventually have to give up, since I can't get a bigger tank. Try to find a good LFS to take him to? The "mom and pop" ones normally take them and can be pretty strict on who they will sell them to.

I thought about it, but the store I bought it from (Petco) sells to anyone. I don't know if he'd be much better off. I could be wrong, though, maybe I'll do research? It would be nice to know a place to take him to if worse comes to worse.

does it look like this?
img0457t.jpg

its considered a HOB or Hang on Back filter... you will find a lot of people using them here.

you should read a few posts on cleaning the filter. you should never have to replace any of the filter media, only rinse it out using water from the tank.

when you do a water change (PWC) are you adding any type of water conditioner/declorinator?

Unfortunately, no, I haven't been adding any water conditioner. (I recently pulled water out of the tank using a pump, but I haven't added any yet.) Do you think regular stores like Walmart or something sells them? I was thinking of heading there before work to take a look, before adding any more water to the tank. I didn't even think about the chlorine in tap water until reading some posts on this forum and others. x__x

The filter does look like that, except it's wider. I'll start using the tank water to rinse out the filters, thanks. :]

according to the walmart website they do carry Tetra AquaSafe which would be fine to use to remove chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals! :) it should be around $6 i believe....

I would skip the AquaSafe, and get some Prime. You will save money in the long run, since it lasts MUCH longer. It is around $11 a bottle, but well worth it. If you get it an open it up, yes it smells, that's normal. ;)

I would skip the AquaSafe, and get some Prime. You will save money in the long run, since it lasts MUCH longer. It is around $11 a bottle, but well worth it. If you get it an open it up, yes it smells, that's normal. ;)

Totally agree with you on this one, its the only one i use, but the OP sounds like shes in a rural area with no access to a decent LFS.... and i dont believe walmart carrys prime...

My town's kind of weird; it's getting larger, but still pretty much rural.

I'll check for both brands; if Prime's not there, I'll get the AquaSafe just because the tank really needs clean water. I'll try to get the better stuff as soon as I can though. Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate this. :)

First, I am really sorry for your loss. You have come to a great place where people are very helpful so I am sure things will get better from now on ;)

I have only had my tanks for about 6months now so I don't have a ton of experience but I have done a lot of reading so here's my 2 cents.

This is what I think you should do (once again this is JMO):

1) Read up on the nitrogen cycle. One important thing to know is that your tank needs certain types of bacteria that live in your filter media and your substrate (ie gravel)
2) Get a dechlorinator for your tap water (as suggested I'd go with Seachem Prime, Amazon sells it if you can't find it locally)
3) When your budget allows, get the freshwater API master test kit (I hear this is $18 on the walmart website)
4) Get a heater when you can (try craigslist or ebay, maybe you can find a used one for cheap)
5) If you are planning on keeping that common pleco and getting a bigger tank the 55gal you mentioned will be too small, I wouldn't go lower than 100gal (I would try and get this used on craigslist too). However, it looks like you are on a budget and buying the stuff for a 100gal, even used, can get pricey, so if I were you I would ask myself if it is worth it to you to do this so you can keep that one pleco? or would finding it a good home be a better alternative? There are other species of pleco that don't grow as big as the common pleco, the birstlenose pleco being one of them (though still too big for a 10gal).

Tips on PWCs:
-You want to stress your fish as little as possible so the water going into the tank should be as close as possible to the water in the tank in terms of pH, temperature and abscence of harmful substances (chlorine, chloramines, ammonia, nitrites etc - hence the need for a dechlorinator)
-When you vacuum your gravel, don't stir (there are videos on this in utube, I found that helpful when I was learning)
-Don't clean your filter and vacuum your substrate on the same day, this will take out too much of your good bacteria.
+1 for rinsing filter cartdridges in old tank water (the important thing is for it to be chlorine and chloramine-free so as not to kill your good bacteria)

In the meantime:
-Assuming you won't be able to get a test kit in a while, you should do frequent PWCs (I would do 50% PWC twice a week at least) using dechlorinator. Plecos are pretty messy fish (they produce a lot of waste aka produce a high bioload) and you have a small tank, so not much water to "dilute" the waste while the biofilter takes care of it.

Hope this helps :p

Back
Top Bottom