My crayfish droped his shell!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, I did not know these guys did this. I did not see my crayfish anywhere in my tank and looked from the side and saw a shell. But I did not know it was just a shell, I thought the guy just croaked, could not figure out from what. SO I went to put it out and realized it was just his shell.

Very cool. I did not take a picture of it, but I will try to this weekend, its sitting in a bucket.

It is a good idea to leave the shell in there for the cray, as often they will eat it to get some calcium - they don't always, though.

Congrats on a successful molt! :D

Congrats! :smilecolros:

As TankGirl said, leave the old shell in the tank because the crayfish will usually eat it. The amazing thing about crayfish molts is that any missing/damaged appendages will reappear good as new!

My crayfish recently completed his second molt. I hadn't seen him for days, but I knew he was alive because the substrate was being moved around at night - he was digging a nice buirrow where he could molt in peace and privacy!

QTOFFER said:
Congrats! :smilecolros:

As TankGirl said, leave the old shell in the tank because the crayfish will usually eat it. The amazing thing about crayfish molts is that any missing/damaged appendages will reappear good as new!

My crayfish recently completed his second molt. I hadn't seen him for days, but I knew he was alive because the substrate was being moved around at night - he was digging a nice buirrow where he could molt in peace and privacy!

Mine has finnaly found his own little borrow as well. He used to use the rock in the back corner as a cave, but I think it might have been too light during the day. Anyway, he has finnaly dug out under the back of the flat rocks and backed himself in. Very fun to check him out. I think he is one of the coolest creatures I have. (even tho hes the only "creature") I want to get some snails and other items for cleaning.

****!! I just notied I have not seen my pleco :( Damn, I cant find him.

I think I need to feed my cray more often. I used to drop in cucumbers with lead weights, but have not in weeks. He/she devoures(sp) them, the plec loved 'em too.

yeah the first time mine moulted i freaked!. and about the 5-6 time after that lol

My cray loves veggies too! :D
Peas, carrot chunks, lima beans, summer squash...you name it. I also feed him sinking shrimp pellets.

I wouldn't put a snail in the tank - I'm positive that the crayfish would kill and eat it! 8O
The only downside to keeping crayfish is that they eventually get lucky, and manage to catch any other creature in the tank. Also, they love to destroy live plants.

Back
Top Bottom