My Decorations and their algae...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark_L

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had many different decorations for my 55 gal freshwater tank over the years, however eventually they always become ugly and dirty looking because of algae growth on the decorations... When I try to scrub off the algae on some of the decorations like fake caves or fake driftwood, it scratches the paint of and it looks even worse! Is their anything I could do to get the algae off my decor without striping off paint?

So I've had many different decorations for my 55 gal freshwater tank over the years, however eventually they always become ugly and dirty looking because of algae growth on the decorations... When I try to scrub off the algae on some of the decorations like fake caves or fake driftwood, it scratches the paint of and it looks even worse! Is their anything I could do to get the algae off my decor without striping off paint?

Soak it in bleach.

The bleach trick is how all the chain stores keep the decorations in their tanks clean. Just make sure to soak them in dechlorinated water for a while after and then rinse really well.

Back
Top Bottom