My Dwarf Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thursyanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was at my lfs the other day and discovered Dwarf Puffers! They only had one so I brought him home and put him in my 5 gal tank. I read that they like planted tanks so I bought a couple more plants and some ghost shrimp. I guess he tried to eat the shrimp because the next day they were all dead. I read that I could put either shrimp or ottos in there to be a cleanup crew for his uneaten food. Maybe I'll try ottos! Do you think I need to add more plants? I checked the tank parameters and had PH at 7.8, Ammonia & Nitrites at 0, and Nitrates at 10. I'd like to add one more DP but I'm afraid he's already established the whole tank as his territory and will kill the other DP. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2013-05-14 19.54.33.jpg
    2013-05-14 19.54.33.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 2013-05-15 20.46.32.jpg
    2013-05-15 20.46.32.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 132
Yeah..you would need a 10 gallon for 2 with alot of different territory and breaks.

OK, just got back from my lfs where I bought a 20 gal tank, live substrate, and snails for my dp! I can't believe I bought another tank!! I'M A TANK ADDICT!!!! I also got a CO2 system and I'm going to move all my live plants over to that tank so maybe they won't die. Then when I get it cycled, I'll put my dp in there and maybe get him a friend.

OK, just got back from my lfs where I bought a 20 gal tank, live substrate, and snails for my dp! I can't believe I bought another tank!! I'M A TANK ADDICT!!!! I also got a CO2 system and I'm going to move all my live plants over to that tank so maybe they won't die. Then when I get it cycled, I'll put my dp in there and maybe get him a friend.

Nice! And I thought I heard that dwarf puffers don't need snails to control their beaks, unlike larger puffers. They only eat the soft part and there isn't much nutrition in the snails either.

They don't need them from what I've read but mine won't eat anything else I've fed him so I thought I'd try snails. He seems to like those. I've gotta get him eating bloodworms or something a little more nutritious.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things so far. After you transfer things over to your 20, then try and add another dp. But have it as planted and have as many break-up lines of sight as you can.

Thanks, I'll try that. I plan on getting my plants going good first so maybe that'll work. I love watching this little guy. I'm hoping that he'll get along with another one in the bigger tank. Maybe I'll get lucky and end up with a male and female!

Yeah..you would need a 10 gallon for 2 with alot of different territory and breaks.

Actually, I would say a smaller tank might work for 2. I wouldn't put 2 in a 5g, but any tank in between would probably be ok as long as it has lots of hiding spots. It's just really important to watch them and make sure they get along ok.

Actually, I would say a smaller tank might work for 2. I wouldn't put 2 in a 5g, but any tank in between would probably be ok as long as it has lots of hiding spots. It's just really important to watch them and make sure they get along ok.

That's what I'm saying..and now with a 20 gallon I don't think you'll have any problems.

My DP has an albino Pleco friend and a guppy. I give mine mysis and brine shrimp. Loves snails but 0 nutrition. It's fun to watch her hunt and attack snails. I put the snails in when she is asleep to give them time to live and move around and then in the morning WHAM! gone
Becarefull with bloodworms. Yes, they taste wonderful to fish but they are 100% protein and fish can and do get constipated . Which they will die from - I put 1 tsp per 5 gallons of Aquarium salt in the tank. Very good for electrolytes and keeps fish "regular". It will NOT hurt them. It's not even close to salt content of brackish
2 DP is not a good idea unless u get them both at the same time and from the same tank. If u do decide to get another LOTS of hiding spots and things to "break up" sight line. They will attack each other. Survival of the fittest.
I started with 4 in a 40 gallon and the one that survived is the one I still have. I never tried again.. Sad to see them not survive.

That's what I'm saying..and now with a 20 gallon I don't think you'll have any problems.

I meant that IMO a 7-9 gallon tank would work fine as well. There are many different shapes and sizes of tanks out there. Yes, a 20 would definitely work. I would put 3-5 in there.

I think any more than 3 is pushing it. Even though they are small, they are extremely territorial. Even with many hiding spots.

My DP has an albino Pleco friend and a guppy. I give mine mysis and brine shrimp. Loves snails but 0 nutrition. It's fun to watch her hunt and attack snails. I put the snails in when she is asleep to give them time to live and move around and then in the morning WHAM! gone
Becarefull with bloodworms. Yes, they taste wonderful to fish but they are 100% protein and fish can and do get constipated . Which they will die from - I put 1 tsp per 5 gallons of Aquarium salt in the tank. Very good for electrolytes and keeps fish "regular". It will NOT hurt them. It's not even close to salt content of brackish
2 DP is not a good idea unless u get them both at the same time and from the same tank. If u do decide to get another LOTS of hiding spots and things to "break up" sight line. They will attack each other. Survival of the fittest.
I started with 4 in a 40 gallon and the one that survived is the one I still have. I never tried again.. Sad to see them not survive.

I'm afraid to put a pleco in there but I might try it. I had a dwarf gourami in my 5 gal when I put my dp in there but Paco (the dp) started nipping at him so I moved him. I'm going to keep Paco in the 5 gal until I get more plants in the 20. It just takes $$. Right now I only have 3 plants so I have to stock up next payday!!

I think any more than 3 is pushing it. Even though they are small, they are extremely territorial. Even with many hiding spots.

They are like little miniature pit bulls!! LOL!! I've been watching him stalking the snails. It seems to keep him entertained! I wonder if live meal worms are OK. I tried one yesterday and he wasn't interested but that might have been because he was full of shrimp since he munched on all the ghost shrimp.

In a 20 long, with a bunch of plants and decor, there would be plenty of hiding spots IMO. You might be surprised by this, but a while back I had two dwarf puffers in a 2 gallon tank and they were both fine. I had a little cave decoration in there for them to hide in. The 2 gallon was temporary until I had my 10 gallon set up (since I wasn't sure when the LFS would have dwarf puffers in stock again), but they were in there for more than 2 months without any issues at all. The main issue is when they are eating. They are very aggressive eaters, so it is most important to make sure they are separated or not near each other when feeding them.

Back
Top Bottom