My female green swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Temporary Saint

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry for the fuzzy and rotated pic, but she doesn't stay still.

So my question is, Is she gravid or just a porker? I have a male in the tank with her, and he pays a lot of attention to her, but it's been weeks so I don't know if she's holding onto any possible eggs. Do swordtails breed relatively easily in our tanks?

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 81
i would agree that she looks pregnant. 2 reasons. the squarish look to her belly and the large black spot at the rear of the belly. unless that black spot is on the outside and its just part of her coloring. if it looks like its under the skin then yes she is very pregnant.

L4EGt0D.jpg

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

So since it looks like I'm going to grandpa, should I add some kind of cover for the fry? My tank has mostly rocks and a few stem plants. Do swordtails prefer a specific environment to bear their young?

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

So since it looks like I'm going to grandpa, should I add some kind of cover for the fry? My tank has mostly rocks and a few stem plants. Do swordtails prefer a specific environment to bear their young?

Sorry for the slow reply. Yes, I would get some floating plants for the fry to hide in. In my experience, swordtails can be aggressive newborn-noshers. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom