My first aquarium, take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerMcAllen

Aquarium Advice Addict
My original plan for the 20 long I set up was for some common plecos, but over they summer they got way too big so they had to be given back to the lfs. So right now I have 6 Rosey Reds(Pimephales promelas), some anacharis, and a nice big piece of driftwood in my tank. The filtration is a penguin 170 biowheel. I was wondering if I could add three clown loaches to this. I was thinking putting in some pvc tubes with a diameter just bigger than they loaches. Does this sound like it will work?

Clown Loaches get up to a foot long, and will outgrow a 20g tank very quickly. There are other types of Loaches that stay small, but few have the personality of the Clowns.

Considering that clown loaches will get up to a foot long I think you would end up in the same situation as you did with the pleco. You'll need to find some fish that won't grow so large when they're adults.

From what I have read so far, I was under the impression that they grew very slowly.
I also remember reading somewhere on loaches.com about a guy who had: "In my 35g I keep I have 5 Clown Loaches, 1 banded loach and 1 horseface loach- I really like the loaches; yes there are 7 loaches to the 35g! Clown loaches grow up to 15" and live as long as 20-30 years, so I am an optimist!! Anyway, I meet a guy who knows a lot about clown loaches. I will tell you what he told me (and I now practice), as he and now myself have been very successful with clown loaches."

I agree that I will probably have to find a differend species. They are usually much easier to find anyway. Oh well, at least I ask before I do.

Consider Kuhli Loaches, Yoyo loaches, Gangetic Loaches, Tiger Botias. All good and good-looking loaches. None grow over 5 inches as far as I'm aware.

Weather loaches aka dojo loaches are about 8 inches when full grown, so not much better than the clowns.

Clowns do grow slowly, but not as slowly as some may think (although no where near as quickly as those plecs!).

I'd suggest a few yoyos. Adult size tops out at 6 inches, really nice to look at, and just as amusing as clowns IMHO.

Allivymar, do you know if I can stock on YoYo loaches right after cycling or I had better wait more? Also, if I wanted to have maybe 2-3 angels, what other fish for upper strata could you recommend?

If the tank is truly cycled, adding yoyos shouldn't be a prob; they aren't dependent on a mature tank like an oto might be. Live food is always a plus with loaches; a supply of snails will keep em fat n happy, although they do fine on processed fish foods (my guys, yoyos n clowns, lurve algae wafers, frozen bloodworm and shrimp pellets).

What size tank will you have em all in? Keep in mind angels will need around 10g each. Medium sized tetras are good tankmates, but avoid nippy fish like tiger barbs which will likely chew on angelfish fins even in large schools. Also avoid little tetras that can fit in angelfish mouths (neons are one; it can be done by adding the neons first, letting them mature then adding juvenile angels, but there is no guarantee the angels won't eat em - they eat em in the wild). Gouramis, like the colisa variety, can make good tankmates, but keep away from really aggressive fish.

I've angelfish, loaches and a plec in my 55g; they all get along rather well. Sometimes the plec gets cranky when everyone makes a beeline for his algae wafers (the angels also adore them), and the angels will beat on each other from time to time.

I have a 55 showtank 48X13X20. It has not completed cycling yet. Nitrites just spiked to 5 and after water change sit at 2. So it is far from over. I would like to have maybe 3-4 yoyo loaches, maybe 3 angels, and other fish for upper strata - maybe gouramis and some tetras. No aggressive mates. I currently have 2 rosy barbs, 2 gold barbs, 4 cherry barbs and 6 LF zebra danios. I will most likely donate all barbs back to LFS after cycling but zebras are funny, I may keep them. I will keep my 3 otos, should they survive, but they are still OK two weeks into cycling. I am not totally sold on angels though. They are pretty but slow and do not like very fast tankmates.

Yeah, they aren't amazingly fond of tankmates zipping round the tank. That being said, my yoyo and clowns don't ever sit still; the angels don't seem to mind. In fact, they'll keep an eye out for em cause the clowns will locate goodies hiding in the substrate and the angels will try to muscle in LOL

I have to admit, ever since I grabbed the yoyo from certain lonely death from the lfs, I have come to adore him! He is MUCH prettier then I initially thought; so silver he glows, and his black markings are striking. I really want more; need to find a store around here carrying em at a reasonable price (I got this guy for $5; the only other store carrying em was asking $20 each!).

Btw, this is Four; not one of my best pics (he doesn't stop LOL) but you can see why I named him Four. Check out the markings near his head *grin*

Back
Top Bottom