My first oscar!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I decided that I needed to knock a fish off my bucket list so I decided to go with the cheapest one, an oscar! :)

He's tricksy as I see him swimming around and any time he sees me he instantly plays dead. It's kind of funny really.

He was the most active in the tank he came from and the biggest brute out of the whole group picking on all of the other oscars. So in short, I couldn't resist. I decided to name him Pontos after the greek god of the sea.

7coYB0S.jpg

Awesome!! Next on my list too, i have the 75, just need a place to put it:( your oscar is "sulking" , something they do when stressed, nothing to worry about though.. beautiful coloration, can't wait to see him get huge..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awww, such a cutie! You definitely got a keeper, and a great name to boot! I really want an oscar someday, but I just can't justify that big of a tank for a single fish when my place isn't that big right now. I've heard so many fun stories about their personalities so far though (such as this one)!

I don't want to sound so blunt but I don't think fish "play"
There is something going on when he sees movement outside the tank, some sort of reaction or stress maybe?

There is something going on when he sees movement outside the tank, some sort of reaction or stress maybe?

Oscars are a bit different from your average fish... They're basically wet puppies. Highly intelligent, can be taught tricks, etc. Quite a few owners have reported what appears to be them "playing" in various forms.

I wouldn't consider it "play" but rather a reaction to him being in unfamiliar surroundings and being unfamiliar to me. It's not uncommon for certain fish to play dead and apparently my oscar is no different :)

He's very healthy looking and is eating like a horse, just shy still.

Back
Top Bottom