my first tank. any advice welcomed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything restricting their flow . Dont let it worry you too much though, im not saying it isnt nessesary but dont let it stress you out, its actually quite easy. Usually 2 in opposing corners will makes a circular motion of water current in the tank. Keep decor away from touching the sides of the tank and the water should have no trouble at all circulating properly.

Placing them at different heights ensures circulation to both top and bottom.

I figure if there are no dead spots, plants aren't being uprooted, and fish aren't getting thrown around in a whirlpool, then the power heads are in a pretty good spot. Lol. Oh and make sure the power heads are assisting the uptake of waste by your filter, and not forcing debris away from the filter intakes.
I know a lot of people don't like the look of hardware in their tanks, but my tanks are just for me, and I have tunnel vision- I don't even notice power heads, heaters etc unless I specifically want to check them for some reason. :)

If my fishies are happy, then I'm happy (and most likely broke too. Lol!)

I try and hide what hardware i can but I dont mind seeing the it either after all its there for a purpose. And I hear ya about happy fish making you broke. Just when I think im all set I find something else to buy.

Anything restricting their flow . Dont let it worry you too much though, im not saying it isnt nessesary but dont let it stress you out, its actually quite easy. Usually 2 in opposing corners will makes a circular motion of water current in the tank. Keep decor away from touching the sides of the tank and the water should have no trouble at all circulating properly.

Placing them at different heights ensures circulation to both top and bottom.

Thanks i will try not to stress about it and will try placing them how you said

Last edited:
Finally caught the pleco out in the open to get a good picture

83799-albums13152-picture61381.jpg

Well that pleco ended up dieing a few days after I got the picture. :( I took him back to the store since it was just inside the return period and they said they've had a lot of plecos returned later and recommended I wait to get another incase the stock just isnt good. So I got another clown loach with the credit instead. Went to a diffrent lfs and got a highfin spotted pleco instead of a common and got 5 small bala sharks. 5 bala sharks in a small quarantine tank didnt seem right so I took a chance and tossed everything in.

So now I have
4 clown loaches
4 peppered corys
5 balas sharks
1 highfin spotted pleco
2 comet goldfish

Been almost a week and everything is going well. I have also added 2 koralia nano 425s and a fluval 306 canister filter. So my turnover rate is around 10x an hour now. The right side of the tank has a higher current then the left so the fish have so calmer spots to hang out and I haven't noticed any dead spots when watching stuff float around. All the fish seem to play in the current at various times but surprisingly the corys do it the most. They xonstantly swim against the current then ride it back and start all over. I still have the goldfish I tried moving them to the pond but my wife wanted to keep them and they seem really happy in the tank. I had moved them to my small quarantine tank when I was going to move them and they just floated in one corner and wouldnt move. As soon as I put them back it the big tank they perked right up and were there old selves again. All the fish get along well so far and are active and look good

Back
Top Bottom