Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Location: Right on the beach of Eastern NC! Well twenty minutes away at least :) Cherry Point Base
My fish are dieing but my water levels Are ok? (:' (

In the past two days I had 2 Cory fish found dead and 2 mollies but my levels were all tested and normal, could they have a disease?! They'res no signs of one on their bodies...

Old 03-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #3

Location: Right on the beach of Eastern NC! Well twenty minutes away at least :) Cherry Point Base
I've only had the tank for a week and the fish 3 days, the rest of my fish which include 2 more mollies, 1 more Cory, 3 african drawf frogs, and 3 bettas (female) I don't know what my levels were I had my water tested when I bought my fish at the local pet store, she said they were all normal levels, the tank is 30 gallon, the temp is currently 82 (I just cut the heater down a tad to bring it to 80) and I have a strong air pump, everything's new
Old 03-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney1626 View Post
I've only had the tank for a week and the fish 3 days, the rest of my fish which include 2 more mollies, 1 more Cory, 3 african drawf frogs, and 3 bettas (female) I don't know what my levels were I had my water tested when I bought my fish at the local pet store, she said they were all normal levels, the tank is 30 gallon, the temp is currently 82 (I just cut the heater down a tad to bring it to 80) and I have a strong air pump, everything's new

A week is a little soon to add fish. There hasn't been much time for beneficial bacteria to grow and for levels to quite set in yet. 80 is a tad on the hot side too, try lowering it between 74-76.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #5

Couldn't it even be the Bettas killing the others?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmik_2008 View Post
Couldn't it even be the Bettas killing the others?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It could but you would see some sort of damage on the fish, unless it was bullied so much it died of stress.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just read through five articles to find this one, I think it will do a nice job explaining what happened to your Corydora and what you must do next as a responsible fishkeeper. Please take a quick read.

How do you cycle a fish tank?

In addition, the species you're keeping will be more healthy at a temperature of 76F
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What exactly are your water parameters and how often do you change the water? Imho you should do a 50% water change immediately and go from there.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

What size tank do u have.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifsud View Post
I just read through five articles to find this one, I think it will do a nice job explaining what happened to your Corydora and what you must do next as a responsible fishkeeper. Please take a quick read.

How do you cycle a fish tank?

In addition, the species you're keeping will be more healthy at a temperature of 76F
+1 don't worry, this happens to LOTS of folks. The articles and people here are great sources of info though. First things first, get a fresh water master test kit, then read all the instructions on how to use it. It is probably your most valuable tool in keeping your fish alive, short of water changes. Welcome to the hobby.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Old 03-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colejohnson73 View Post
It's a 30 gallon, read previous posts.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
ate, die, dieing, fish, level, water, water levels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com