My Fish In Cycle :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! My name is Jessica :) Some of you know me from http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-setup-overstocked-and-not-cycled-194563.html or http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...in-cycle-do-i-change-my-water-now-194880.html . Im on day 8 of my cycle :) Things seem to be going well! I figured I would use this thread to ask questions and such. I dont really have a question now but I figured I would start off by introducing myself and my fishes :) I have a 55g using an AquaClear 110 and a topfin 60 for filtration. My parameters have been a steady:

Ph 8 - 8.2
Amm .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I bought 2 active filters from AngelsPlus, they are stuffed in the filters :) I do 70% + wc everyday. Here are some pictures of my fishes :fish1:

Attachments

• 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 095.jpg
    095.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 172
Beautiful fish!! Ever think of doing a background? Maybe black? You can use window tint or construction paper or they sell the stuff at the LFS. I painted mine before I added fish. The black really makes the tank IMO and helps the colors of the fish really show.

Also just keep doing what your doing. Test test test and water changes water changes water changes. You'll get through it!! :)

Good luck ;)

Thank you! And yes :) I got some vinyl wrap like they use for cars, I'm going to put it on when I switch to sand this weekend.It's black, I kinda wish it was flat tho :( but that will have to do for now. I'm also worried about sand for 2 reasons: I'm nervous cuz its so early in my cycle and I'm afraid that its gonna take awhile for it to settle and it will bother my fish :/

Convict2161 said:
Beautiful fish!! Ever think of doing a background? Maybe black? You can use window tint or construction paper or they sell the stuff at the LFS. I painted mine before I added fish. The black really makes the tank IMO and helps the colors of the fish really show.

Also just keep doing what your doing. Test test test and water changes water changes water changes. You'll get through it!! :)

Good luck ;)

I'm religious with the wc's and testing lol! Almost obsessive ;)

What color sand? And are you sure you wanna tear your tank down and add sand so early in your fish in cycle? You cause a spike in your parameters. Not 100% sure but maybe wait until the tank settles?

You wanna add more Cichlid's in the future right?

So my thought process is this.

Wait and when your ready to purchase your new Cichlid's change substrate an redecorate then add new fish. That will confuse the existing fish and cut down on aggression towards the new members since the territory has been changed and now they ALL will compete for a spot in your tank. Again this is JMO I'm by no means and expert I've learned what I know from research, magazines,books and the fine fine members of this great forum community.

Convict2161 said:
What color sand? And are you sure you wanna tear your tank down and add sand so early in your fish in cycle? You cause a spike in your parameters. Not 100% sure but maybe wait until the tank settles?

You wanna add more Cichlid's in the future right?

So my thought process is this.

Wait and when your ready to purchase your new Cichlid's change substrate an redecorate then add new fish. That will confuse the existing fish and cut down on aggression towards the new members since the territory has been changed and now they ALL will compete for a spot in your tank. Again this is JMO I'm by no means and expert I've learned what I know from research, magazines,books and the fine fine members of this great forum community.

That's what I was struggling with... Idk if its better to just get the sand and start over or wait and possibly face a mini cycle after it cycles from changing the substrate?!?!? I just don't have much in there either because I feel like I should wait to decorate till the sand is in! Im just going with pool sand or Sakrete play sand. Pool sand is my first choice :)

Hopefully more experienced members will chime in but I would say wait. Fish in cycle in stressful enough on your fish and you so why compound that with changing substrate now and putting everyone under more stress? Make sense? I would wait, get your tank established and then do what you wanna do as far as substrate change and decor. Let everything settle in and get established. Then when you move forward and IF you do get a mini cycle it would be so hard on the fish or you.

IMO the priority right now should be maintaining proper water conditions for your fish and ensuring there health and safety and YOUR sanity :)

Don't rush things TRUST ME! I know what its like but in the long run you'll be much more happier. Just leave the tank be and let it run it's course. Sometimes less is more. It's amazing how much you learn from this forum!! Hahaha!! I'd never in a million years think I'd be writing what I wrote!! I wonder what the more experienced members would think of it. I think I have given sound advice now it up to you.

Good luck either way!! :)

Convict2161 said:
Hopefully more experienced members will chime in but I would say wait. Fish in cycle in stressful enough on your fish and you so why compound that with changing substrate now and putting everyone under more stress? Make sense? I would wait, get your tank established and then do what you wanna do as far as substrate change and decor. Let everything settle in and get established. Then when you move forward and IF you do get a mini cycle it would be so hard on the fish or you.

IMO the priority right now should be maintaining proper water conditions for your fish and ensuring there health and safety and YOUR sanity :)

Don't rush things TRUST ME! I know what its like but in the long run you'll be much more happier. Just leave the tank be and let it run it's course. Sometimes less is more. It's amazing how much you learn from this forum!! Hahaha!! I'd never in a million years think I'd be writing what I wrote!! I wonder what the more experienced members would think of it. I think I have given sound advice now it up to you.

Good luck either way!! :)
I suppose I could wait :) I'm not in any hurry just worry that there isn't many hiding places at the moment! Just want the fishes to be happy is all!

Good morning!

Gonna feed my furry animals (and Turkles :)) then get on with my water change! Hope everyone is having a great morning! My favorite thing to do every morning is sit in front of my tank, drink my coffee and watch my fishes! I am hopelessly addicted to this tank :D

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 197
AndrewsPistol said:
Gonna feed my furry animals (and Turkles :)) then get on with my water change! Hope everyone is having a great morning! My favorite thing to do every morning is sit in front of my tank, drink my coffee and watch my fishes! I am hopelessly addicted to this tank :D

Looking good

Wonderful :) I had to regime the Firemouth and my Oscar went with him, they weren't faring well in the tank :( my Africans were picking on them and I just wanted them to be happy and healthy! They went to a 100 gallon with a JD in it already. The man also took my blue lobster and pleco, the pleco went because of his bioload and I let the lobster go because I have read they are delicate and he may not have made it thru the cycle. Not to mention I am feeding sparingly to keep ammonia down and there wasn't anything hitting the bottom for him. It was very sad to let them go but it was the responsible thing to do and as I get older I learn responsibility sucks sometimes! My ph is at 8.2 too, perfect for Africans not so much for SA's. Other than that I am having some heater issues but I am always home so I have been monitoring it closely. Oh AND I got my new Mopani in the mail today! Yays!

boadams87 said:
Awwwwww im sorry

It's ok, it sucks but they are in a better place! The man's tank was awesome! Lots of caves and plants and rock work! He texts me pictures still :) you should see how dark my Oscar got after he got there, vibrant black and orange, just how he should be!

AndrewsPistol said:
Yes, they are beautiful! I seen some at Petsmart that were gorgeous!

But once I get thru with my 150 I want some flowerhorns. Or green terror

Back
Top Bottom