Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to galen
My fish tank...it's a jungle!

our theme is the movie predator. bunch of junk yard gangstas led by arnold (the big convict) vs the big old meen armored alien thing, our lobster.

its a 20 gallon. it has 1 blue lobster, 2 convicts, 2 small firemouths and a few some others that i forget 9roomies own em- i own the firemouths). the big black convict in the center, "ahnuld" as we call him, rules the tank: he has a big 'ole fat lump on his skull, kind alike a headdress. he's a tad over 5" and fattttt!!! he is awesome; he comes up to the glass when we come near and likes to watch and follow the girls around the room in his tank. our sort of fish- horny and hulky.

the others (whatever they are), when we see em, are babies still, like 2-3" tops! gonna get em a big 55 during christmas so me and my roomies can get some big gangbangers in there.

the lobster lives under that rock he's perched on. we had a clown loach in there- he was cool, but i think the lobster snagged em one night a while ago cause i havent seen him inside the tank or his shriveled butt outside so he's toast. interstingly, never seen his skeleton either- guess the lobster was hungry.

i lost count of how many plants are in there,m so please don't ask me. we add em all the time since they have a high casualty rate due to many junkyard rumbles.

we don't even bother with making it look nice; we're just so gosh diddly darn lazy its amazing we aren't dead from not cleaning the dorm room.

but, some things we do believe in with these critters: massive water changes and mucho amounts of filtration.

we do once a week 50% water changes.
filter is a millennium 3000 (350 gph on 20 gallon- ahah, over-filtered for the boyz).
got an undergravel filter in there with an aquaclear 50 pumping it and a sponge filter with air. we just use seahcem excel and flourish with 1 15 watt strip lights, the other broke, or bjorked, lol.

thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4054.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	21183  

Old 10-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Change the flow on the UGF plate. The flow up thru the plate will keep the roots from entageling in the plate as it would with water being sucked down thru the gravel.

I run a RUGF plate on my planted 52

Old 10-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

cool tank
Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to galen
thanks guys. we like the tank alot. it's always eventful in there. dude, right on with using the powerhead in reverse. i guess i did'nt say but that's what we are susing that bad boy for. it's awesome!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wont use the plates normally, I always reverse em, the tanks stay so much cleaner alot longer.

I do a 50% wc every month using the RUGF, just canister or HOB every week to week and a half. It works amazingly well with live plants too, my snails keep em clean and they absorb all that once nasty now broken down nutrient rich water that is under the plate.

If I had playing money for more, all my tanks would be on it, the plates are already in just not plumbed up yet.

My corydoras are the most appreciative, the shrimp used to be till they were consumed.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

nice tank galen!!

Tags
jungle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com