My Fish want swim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shez

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Spot my fish sits at the bottom of the tank
I found him laying on his side so I did a complete tank clan out!
now he does not lie on his side but still at the bottom
he did try and swim but does a few tail wiggles then thats it maybe spot is just really lazy!
thanks I have had spot nay a few years
he is a fan tailed goldfish with a red spot on top of his head!

Poor lil feller, sounds like some type of internal infection. Is there anything on the outside of him?? How are the water levels?? Temperature??

The tank is medium
Not too sure what temperature
but did do a complete tank drain yesterday!
is there anything I can put into the tank!
:(

Hiya Shez and welcome to AquariumAdvice.

We need some really specific info to help:

What are your water parameters (ammonia/nitrites/nitrates/Ph).

How many gallons and is is US or UK gallons?

How long has the tank been up and running?

What other fish are in there? How long have they been there?

What other symptoms do you see (heavy breathing, strange marks, other unusual behavior, eating)? When he does try to swim can he stay upright? Or is he head or tail down?

Thanks have to find because never Knew that a goldfish could go into this deph
it looks like it hold 75 gallons is that right when I had a look at the side of the tank it said 75 but there is a bit missing
yesterday he was lying on his side but when I cleaned the tank he was just at the bottom he still eating but just the bits that come to him
maybe he is a lazy fish
would tap safe help
or something like it

It might be 75g, or might not. If you can get us the dimensions we can help you figure it out for sure :)

Fish generally aren't "lazy". Laying at the bottom of the tank means something is up. If you can get us your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels) we can see of thats part of the problem (ammonia comes from fish digestion and respiration, and then is converted to nitrite, which is then converted to nitrates all by special bacteria that colonises the tank. Ammonia and nitrite are deadly to fish). If you don't have test kits for em, I suggest you bring a sample of water (about a 1/4 cup) to the local fish store and ask them to test it for you (and buy your own tests while you're there).

Water parameter is always the first place to start when a fish is acting weird. Lets get that taken care of and see if thats the problem.

if that is the problem how do you solve the problem.

IF it is the problem, water changes to dilute and reduce the levels of ammonia and nitrite are the first steps. Without the tests tho, you have no idea if you've gotten rid of enough. Really large water changes aren't recommended, so just doing a big change may not be the best thing to do without knowing for sure if its necessary.

The only thing there is only one fish in my tank when I first got my fish I did not know
that you should really put fan tailed and normal goldies together
he attacked his little fishy friend

One big mistake. never ever fully drain out the tank. This will get rid of all the good and bad bacteria, and your tank will have to cycle all over again, which could just as easily cause deaths to new tank syndrome as an infection. I recomend doing water changes (maybe 20 percent). Hope your goldy is ok.

Basically Shaz what we need to know is what size your aquarium is, measure the length, width, depth. Then from there one of us will see how much water is in your tank and if you do not have any test kits take a sample of water to your lfs and they will tast it for you, and you can tell us what the parameters of the tank are ie.. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.
You tank needs to be cycled and we will help you do that.

Could one of the problems be with the pump its self
Its just stoped working maybe its not been working propley for a while!

That would be a problem, your pump not working. has it packed up machanically or does it just need cleaning.
If it needs cleaning do not wash it under the tap, remember that you have to do it in some aquarium water in a bucket/bowl.

what pump is it.

Back
Top Bottom