My God I have Hydra Update and Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
8O

do not know where they came from, what causes them... are they good or bad? should i do anything about them...

i have tinny, lime green HYDRA attached to the glass 8O

i belive they are Hydra viridens

that article does not make me think they are a problem unless i have fry which i do not

i just saw a 1" long shrimp... :? must be one of the ghost shrimp or amino shrimp i had but though my rams ate...

I would keep them in check just because they do have poison in the tenatacles and if you wind up with thousands they might be able to kill an adult fish if it gets stung enough times.
I could be way off in the Pacific trench but does seem a possibility.

I have them too. I am an normally advocate for little hitchhiking critters, but these unauthorized bugs had to go. But, I had a hard time finding a way to get rid of them that won't also kill my MTS. I tried the recommendation to not feed the tank, but I have too many little organisms to starve them out.

And then I got an idea. An awful idea. A wonderful, awful idea.
grinch-smile.jpg

Hydra need good water quality to thrive (so in a sick way, it's kind of a compliment that you have them). So I am going to take out my betta and add ammonia. Just a little cycle until the hydra can't tolerate the conditions. The MTS should be fine, since I know they can survive at least 6 ppm.

I have not read about this approach anywhere else, so if anyone forsees any problems, please let me know. I will post results if it works.

ROFL Mosaic - I love the Grinch quote. that's one show I can watch over and over and over. Too funny :)
Keep us posted on if it works - sounds like an evil yet ingenious plan !

Not to change the course of this thread, but I get a kick out of the title, with and without the "Update and shrimp" part. I think it's funny to me because that's what would come to my mind upon seeing Hydra in my tank- "My God I have Hydra"...

I know having Hydra isn't funny JDogg, but it still makes me chuckle, especially after seeing the photo of you kill- I mean, carving a pumpkin. I picture you with look of horror on your face instead of that of an axe murderer.

lol! You guys are funny (you made my day :) ).
JDogg, I had a hydra explosion in my river conditions tank (very creepy it was too, all those tendrils blowing in the current) and I have small fish in there so I was concerned. They tended to congregate on the plant pots I have in there, so I gravel vac-ed them out across a few days. I also have a black molly in there (she was naughty and had to be moved from her original home lol) and they will eat them. Touch wood (or glass, or water) they disappeared and I haven't seem them since.

Not that any of that probably helps apart from the gravel vac bit!

Back
Top Bottom