My Gold Nugget Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've ordered one from my lfs and they brought me this beauty! I'm really glad that I bought it and have some notes about its behavior and eating habits.
It cleans all the tank from algae! Good!!!
It's not that nocturnal! I see it almost all the time cleaning glass and decorations. Good!!!
I'm thinking whether there is enough algae in the tank for it. That's why I tried other types of food that is recommended for plecos:
Algae discs - it shows no interest in it, although most of my other fish loves it. Zuccini - no interest. Lettuce - no interest. spinate - some interest (my Gold Gourami likes it much more) Bad!!! (or, it is just because there is enough of live algae that Gold Nugget prefers?)

Try some bloodworms and shrimp.
All my other fish gets creazy over that type of food. There is no way Pleco will get any leftovers unless I just through a whole can in the tank (viva amonia! :lol: )

lol Yeah my fish go crazy over that stuff too. but sometimes i'll stuff a shrimp under the drift wood (thats where my clown plecos stay) and i will check a few days later and it will be gone.

[
[/quote]
All my other fish gets creazy over that type of food. There is no way Pleco will get any leftovers unless I just through a whole can in the tank (viva amonia! :lol: )[/quote]

Try to feed him after lights are out for about 2 hours. I do that and i "THINK" my GN is eating the "bloody" worms and the algae waffers. He also likes cucumber very, very much!

Try to feed him after lights are out for about 2 hours. I do that and i "THINK" my GN is eating the "bloody" worms and the algae waffers. He also likes cucumber very, very much!
As soon as I open a canopy, crazy little zebra danios are waiting day or night. I did try to leave some food at night and it was gone next morning, but when I get up (8am) all my fish is up, so I cannot tell who eats it (though my iridiscent shark lays on the back and rubs its belly with its fin and smiles).

I'm having trouble discovering when my 2 GN's eat as well. I've tried about everything there is, frozen and well as dried and pellets. The only thing I've seen them eat with the lights on is shrimp pellets. My other offerings, after light out, include frozen shrimp and blood worm, algae wafers, sea weed sheet food, cucumber and zuchinni. I've had them almost three weeks now. I also have trouble getting food to the bottom during the day when my other fish are active. I have two clown loaches and a RT shark that they have to compete with. Its a 90 gal tank. Any suggestion?

A veggie clip works wonders, especially if all your other fish will ignore it. When feeding at night...wait a half hour or more after lights out to drop goodies...chances are that the other fish will have attempted to settle in...if they see you...you won't be successful.

Since I have four cories constantly scouring the tank all day and the serpaes could care less about whether the food that they saw float to the bottom belongs to them or not, I've found that the longer you wait after lights out, the more chance of the pleco getting at it.

put a huge chunk of zuchini, cucumber, or squash in a veggie clip and leave it in there for a day or two (no more than 2 days i think) and he should eventually eat it. Mine is always gone within one day.

Back
Top Bottom